Bathroom tiling alternative

Can anyone suggest an alternative to tiling above a bath/shower.
Two reasons: 1. Im too lazy to tile and grout.
2. I've seen bathrooms with just a paint finish, which look very 'clean' - the effect of no tiles is to increase the apparent size of an otherwise petite bathroom.
I guess I'm asking if anyone's used a paint that would be suitable - someone mentioned the type used in hospital operating theatres, because it wipes down without any damage!
Otherwise mounted panels of melamine?
-- KEVIN BRADY, Oxford _____________________ replies to newsgroup only mail to reply address is automatically deleted from server
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Can anyone suggest an alternative to tiling above a bath/shower.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Two reasons:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>1. Im too lazy to tile and grout.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>2. I've seen bathrooms with just a paint finish, which look very 'clean' - &nbsp;the effect of no tiles is to increase the apparent size of an otherwise petite bathroom.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I guess I'm asking if anyone's used a paint that would be suitable - someone mentioned the type used in hospital operating theatres, because it wipes down without any damage!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Otherwise mounted panels of melamine?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;<BR>KEVIN BRADY, Oxford<BR></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Wallpaper can be varnished to stop the water getting at it.&nbsp; A good Polyurethane Varnish or Yacht Varnish&nbsp;is best for this.&nbsp; Once you varnish the walls, you have to seal the bottom with silicone to stop the water getting in behind it and climbing up the paper.</DIV></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

I think someone did this in our house before we bought it (it was varnish or some other semi-matt treatment over the wallpaper, in a half-tiled bathroom). That was 15 years ago and for 10 of those the house was let out. The paper is still in astonishingly good nick.

or
out.
It does work really well surprisingly. I thought it would have bubbles and blistered with the hot water splashing on it, bit it doesn't when you make sure every inch is covered and sealed.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:14:52 +0000 (UTC), "Kevin Brady"

I used to have a bathroom that was only tiled above the bath and sink, two/three courses. The remainder was painted.
Crown do mid-sheen for kitchens/bathrooms - it has more vinyl in it and resists condensation/scuffing. No doubt Dulus etc do similar.

Check out this site http://www.dumaplast.be/index.html