Subject Author Posted Replies

Mildly OT - freeview multiplex breaking up
You may recall a few months ago that I was having a PITA setting the digibox up in the new house. It suddenly just started to work just fine. It's been fine for a few months now - albeit with...
7
7

what's going on with the biomass powerstations??
Suddenly 630Mw on stream at BM reports. I thought that the London station was closed for good.. is it up and running?
4
4

Choc bloc caps
Google-fu exhausted, I'm looking for either some cube-like plastic caps to fit over a regular choc bloc to make it look prettier [I'm fitting 12v under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen] or maybe...
45
45

A smarter thermostat
Does anyone have a recommendation of a thermostat that is capable of using cues like outside temperature and previous times taken to reach a target temperature to adjust "on" times? Jon
40
40

35mm flush pipe into 40mm cistern
Hello, I'd be very grateful for advice on the following problem, which I ha ve to fix before the girlfriend's mother comes to stay on Friday... I'm finishing off the downstairs bathroom, and have a...
4
4

Central heating in France
OK so not UK but pretty close! Been looking at Leroy Merlin and other Bricolage, don't seem to be able to find the plastic flexible type pipe for heating etc (Hep2o or similar), is it used/allowed in...
4
4

Green Sinks
I was looking at some kitchen sinks and noted that quite a few models had no hole, or other facility, for an overflow. These are _NOT_ the type of sinks with two bowls where there is a channel lower...
5
5

Building a "wall of death"
I'm surprised nobody on here has mentioned this guy before. Can't remember how I got to this video but it's wood and nails construction on a relatively large scale! What do you reckon the materials...
3
3

Already feeling the cold.... naughty boiler
Have a Worcester-bosh greenstar ri boiler. Its been turned off for a few days and now its expected to come on again, it decides only to fire up for half a minute at a time every four or five minutes....
13
13

Thermal fuses in appliances
Hi all, Well, I got my tumble dryer working again by just cleaning the nylon gears in the tumble/reverse timer with solvent; the grease on them had congealed and hardened and forced them out of mesh...
15
15

Bar shower warm when not in use?
Curious. Just came to stick one of my boys in the shower and the Mercati bar shower was warm to the touch before any water had flowed through it. In the room next door we had just run a bath. Is this...
9
9

Change of electric cooker
We currently have a stand-alone electric cooker but, in a kitchen refurb planned for next week, we'll be replacing it with a built-in oven and a gas hob. The cooker circuit is on a 32A breaker in the...
4
4

OTish: Can you wash a single quilt in a washing machine?
Got a visitor coming next weekend, just wondered if anyone has had any success putting a single quilt through a domestic wash cycle? Any tips? Got to be cheaper than the laundrette, surely?
16
16

And today's rant... Low energy GU10s
A little row of five recessed spots in the kitchen ceiling, above the work surface. Two of the halogens have failed. First time I've had to replace any of 'em since we moved in. There's a cupboard...
20
20

Replacing recessed spotlights
Recessed into the false ceiling in my kitchen are four spotlights which I reckon were fitted about twenty years ago though I have lived in my flat for only the past four years. I have renewed the...
5
5