Clamp a board to a railing - quick and removable - how?

I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1" diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles, more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or more elegant?

Reply to
cl

Not sure what it would be called or whether it exists, but my first thought would be something to do with scaffolding.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

This idea is sadly lacking in detail but I'd make some "ears" under the board angled at 45 degrees to curl under the railings. Put the board on the railings and slide it forward until locks itself in place. For extra security, mount an eye on the front of the board and lash it to something further forward.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Two planks one either side of the railing and a couple of long bolts + nuts through the centre.

Reply to
alan

Yes, that's how I've done it in the past.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Adapt a couple of quick release mounts that are designed to hold roof rack components/bars on car roof rails? You would have to use the board as the "rack" and fix the feet to allow for your angle possibly by fixing short lengths of the correct style roof bar to the underside of the wood. Drill bolt holes through the roof bar section which should be one of the rectangular ones ,not a streamlined one. keeping the nut inside the roof bar. The bars are easily cut with a hacksaw and sets can often be found second hand for not very much cost.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The bottom one doesn't have to be continuous, it could be two shorter offcuts, one each side. Rather than bolts, drill clearance holes in the top plank and use suitable length wood screws into the bottom ones. Provided you have a cordless screwdriver this will be quicker than faffing about with any sort of clamp, or nuts and bolts.

Reply to
newshound

L shaped sticky out bits: rotate them and they go under the rail. Add a fixed bit of wood on the other side, and the Ls lock it in place.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Now that's neat, I hadn't thought of that at all, thanks.

Reply to
cl

Yes,that's a way to make it quick and easy, sort of big toggle clamps I guess.

Reply to
cl

TV aerial clamps? ?

Reply to