Acid drain clearer - source and going rate

Looks like I'm going to have to try sulphuric acid drain clearer on a nasty and difficult to reach drain blockage.

My friendly chemical supplier has 4 x 3kg doses for 15quid which is fine value wise but I'd rather not have 9kg of 93% acid lying around in the spares.

Any idea what the going rate is in the average plumbers' merchant and the typical size? I've found a few search results on the usual trade suspects' site but they're all a weeny 1 litre bottle and no prices without signing in.

Any ideas?

Reply to
fred

where do you get that from?

A litre.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've generally found that caustic soda + boiling water clears drains far better than acids.

But brick acid is your friend for limescale if that's what's blocking it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends what the blockage is. Caustic turns oil and fat into soap but has little effect on human hair. I've never had a blockage I couldn't clear with garden hose and/or a plunger

Reply to
stuart noble

stuart noble wrote in news:XDErv.11140$ snipped-for-privacy@fx11.am:

Never had a blockage as I don't use bar soap. I use only shower gels, liquid hand soaps and Sanex. Soap is horrible greasy scummy stuff (IMHO)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Normal soaps don't cause blockages, it's the less soluble "soaps" that form when caustic soda reacts with oils and fats that cause problems. Ask Westminster Council.

Reply to
stuart noble

stuart noble wrote in news:jdSrv.315972

I think that normal soaps have more ability to form a scum which then binds hairs together in the u-bends. With the liquid regime I never "have" to clean the bath, the chrome taps or the shower screen. Everything remains sparkiling. Best labour saving tip I have ever followed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Fatbergs now contribute to the fuel for Beckton power station

Reply to
Andy Burns

A fatberg inevitably becomes a soapberg, which is larger and more solid than the equivalent volume of oil/fat. A 500gms tub of caustic shoved down somebody's sink would probably be enough to saponify a mountain of OFG and weld it to the sewer walls

Reply to
stuart noble

You obviously have never used it

Reply to