Sulfamic acid

Folks,

I'm looking for an inexpensive source for sulfamic acid crystals in 5 or 10 pound lots. Sulfamic acid is great for cleaning ceramic tile.

Big thanks, Tim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This message was posted via one or more anonymous remailing services. The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit

for abuse and hashcash info.

Reply to
Tim Lewis

Is sure does not sound like a good material to use for home cleaning of tile when good and much safer materials are available.

DANGER! CORROSIVE. MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED. CAUSES SEVERE IRRITATION AND BURNS TO EVERY AREA OF CONTACT. MAY CAUSE LUNG DAMAGE.

SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Health Rating: 3 - Severe Flammability Rating: 0 - None Reactivity Rating: 2 - Moderate Contact Rating: 3 - Severe (Corrosive) Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES & SHIELD; LAB COAT & APRON; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES Storage Color Code: White (Corrosive)

Potential Health Effects

----------------------------------

Inhalation: Extremely destructive to tissues of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Symptoms may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea and vomiting. May cause pulmonary edema, a medical emergency. Pulmonary edema may be delayed up to 48 hours. Ingestion: Corrosive. Swallowing can cause severe burns of the mouth, throat, and stomach, leading to death. Can cause sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea. Skin Contact: Corrosive. Symptoms of redness, pain, and severe burn can occur. Eye Contact: Corrosive. Can cause blurred vision, redness, pain, severe tissue burns and eye damage. Chronic Exposure: No information found. Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions: No information found.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You could just buy some "Once-a-day shower cleaner". Not crystals, but it has to be safe.

Tim Lewis wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Paint is likewise harmful if swallowed or inhaled.

Reply to
HeyBub

I remember about 30 years ago someone at Woodstock announced that everyone should stay away from the blue acid. I hope you are not messing with blue acid. I also recall back then my parents told me to stay away from ALL acid. I think that message is still a good one. Messing with acid can cause lotsa problems. Stay away from acid.....

Reply to
hippyfreak

What you want is a moderate strength mineral acid. Nothing special about sulfamic acid per se. See MSDSs for CLR type products.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Tim Lewis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.poster:

I picked some up at Home Depot maybe 6 mos ago. It was in the flooring area. Link to exact product:

Al Bundy

Thanks Stubby. One of the reasons I'm looking for a crystaline or powder form is that I'm cheap and it would be (hopefully) much cheaper than the shower cleaner. Often, I'll read the ingredients on a product and find that there is a cheaper way to get it if you know what is in it. Like Minwax High Performance wood filler...you can spend $10 bucks to get a pound of it or you can recognize that it is just Bondo and get 10 pounds of it for the same price at the auto parts store.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Lewis

Is that really true? I have to fill in some spaces in an oak sill where I had to cut out termite rot, so if Miniwax whatsit is REALLY the same as Bondo, please confirm; thanx.

Reply to
aspasia

We had this conversation about a year ago (or was that in rec.woodworking?)...anyway, yes, 'tis true. I suspected the same and did a search and confirmed the MSDS are shared references. Only real difference afaict is the color of the hardener that Minwax supplies is brown/tan instead of the blue or more neutral/gray of most automotive-supplier varieties.

Reply to
dpb

[...]

Thanks Richard.....but sulfamic is best for cleaning soap scum off of bathroom tile. I've tried CLR etc, but sulfamic is the same ingredient in products like BAM from Easy off or Scrub Free soap scum remover. They pre-mix the sulfamic acid and put it in a spay bottle but if you can get the sulfamic acid in powder form, you can mix it yourself and get a year's supply for the same price as one bottle of Scrub Free. It works great.....you can be a real slob like me and let the scum build up, then spray the stuff on and it is the most effective way I've seen to remove the soap scum.

When I find the right source, I plan to do a lifetime buy before some soccer mom decides to lobby to take it off the market because it is too dangerous to use. I hate when that happens.

But.....BIG thanks for the links to Service Chemical and Hummel Croton....I see that they carry many chemicals I like to use for pyrotechnics.

.Tim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This message was posted via one or more anonymous remailing services. The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit

for abuse and hashcash info.

Reply to
Tim Lewis

Oh Man....Many, many thanks Al. The attendant at my local Home Depot didn't know what I was talking about. Now I can bring the webpage from TileLab that you linked and show them. You've made my day!

I love this group.

Tim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This message was posted via one or more anonymous remailing services. The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit

for abuse and hashcash info.

Reply to
Tim Lewis

Tim Lewis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.poster:

Yep. Like lighter fluid ==> naptha, GoofOff (or Oops?) ==> xylene

Reply to
Al Bundy