Subject Author Posted Replies

Adjusting digital clock
I've got an Art Deco style clock, rather nice, but it looses a couple of minutes a week. Any way to adjust the crystal to speed it up. The movement is rather small and it's difficult to find a...
23
23

Ring ring
Got a call just now (yes 7.05am) on my landline from an SMS->voice service announcing that a carrier was delivering something[1] later in the day. Good job I was already awake! I suppose they assume...
38
38

Bath trap.
The new bath has a centre drainhole, and we have a popup waste supplied with the bath. The trap is a slightly odd looking flat rectangular affair designed to fit between the underside of the bath and...
7
7

Charging Li Ion batterry from DC source
I have a power tool (chainsaw) which is used on site at night where noise is a problem. It uses a lithium ion battery of 36V 3Ah which lasts about 20 minutes of use. The 330W 240v charger takes about...
8
8

Problems with a Hotpoint tumble dryer...
After 9 years of no trouble at all, today my Hotpoint VTD20 (vented t/d) refused to go. It's got power alright, and when it's set appropriately and the door is shut it sort of hums to itself, perhaps...
19
19

Mending a kitchen tap
I've been asked to mend this tap - anyone familiar with them? The cold one is ok and turns about 3 full turns from on to off. The hot one only turns about half a turn and apparently sometimes no water...
17
17

LightwaveRF Magnetic Switch - Outdoors?
Have decided to go down route of controlling outdoor lights manually/remotely rather than using a PIR. But would like one thing - that they come on when opening back gate. The obvious thing is to use...
23
23

AEG Santo fridge freeze question
Our old fridge freezer lives in the garage which isn't ideal for a single stat device. I noticed today that there's a button at the top with a picture of a square wave next to it and I got to...
4
4

Decent microwave ovens
One of the most important aims of the "Continuous Design Improvement" process is to reduce the cost of manufacture - how much can we remove, pare off, substitute cheaper materials etc. Anything that...
27
27

Mosaic tiles - cheap and easy?
I've just had the kitchen skimmed, so a reasonable surface for tiles. My past efforts have been pretty poor though - just looks like it's been done by somebody not very good at tiling. I don't seem to...
9
9

Stupid question about fridges
I'm sure this is very basic but forgive me, I've not encountered it before. In the new (to me) house there's a fridge under the kitchen worktop with a panel door matching the other decor attached to...
31
31

Heated rear window repair.
Hi all, I recently bought a second-hand car and, too late to take it back, I've noticed that the bottom half of the HRW doesn't work. Having happily fixed a few in the past using silver-loaded paint I...
19
19

100W bulbs. What was all the fuss?
They're back in force it seems. Who paid for that fiasco of discounted CFL's Anyone been sacked or voted out yet? AB
51
51

Rads???
Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers. Wickes list a 60mm high x 700mm wide @ 4370btu/1280w and a 700mm high x 60mm wide @ 3952btu/1158w Since they are exactly the same surface area,...
17
17

Affordable celotex
Hi, could anyone please suggest an affordable alternative to celotex? It's the rigigity rather than the R value that is of interest to it's intended use. Thanks.
32
32