Subject Author Posted Replies

Non-slip shoelaces?
Modern shoelaces seem to slip very easily, probably because they are made of artificial fibres which came out of a smooth tube in the first place. Does anybody know of a cure? TIA
13
13

Self-Adhesive led strip lights
Anyone got some practical experience of these? Is it sensible to stick them directly to the underside of (for example) wall cupboards or is it better to stick them to some aluminium profile & attach...
7
7

Lawnmower time
We've had a pocket handkerchief for the last years, but this one's a little larger - about 50x25 metres. I'm not really into stripes. Suggestions for a mower please? Andy
38
38

OT: It could only happen to Desmond....
Somebody fly tipped some rubbish on a site I look after on the local industrial estate. A fridge, bed base, mattress & parts of a wardrobe. Local authority wouldn't help, private road, several local...
14
14

OT Whoops!
A fire station gutted in a blaze which destroyed a fire engine, had no sprinkler system, it is revealed.
2
2

Shredder
Thinking that my next toy will be a shredder (garden variety). Any views on the best type and make, please?
42
42

Bosch Balderdosh?
Neighbour asked me to fix his Bosch garage door remote. Took it apart, felt sure I'd not be able to sort it as it was full of SMD components each smaller than the smallest blob of solder I can produce...
25
25

Freezer ambient
I am looking at putting an upright freezer in my attached garage. A max-min thermometer, and other records, show that it occasionally drops to 5C, but is generally comfortably above 10C, possibly...
21
21

Almost time for the first cut - dealing with stones etc
Having just popped up the road to post a letter, it's a glorious spring day (breeze is a tad cool) with sunshine galore. I took a punt, and walked on the lawn, and it's firmed up nicely. Another...
3
3

Practical feedback - crimped and heatshrunk joints
The IEE regs is not prescriptive enough to cover specifics a lot of the time. Flex jointed with crimps in a ceiling void and protected with heatshrink on the cores plus adhesive lined heatshrink over...
3
3

Excavation Vacuum
I've seen several of the Utilities using a huge truck based vacuum cleaner to empty excavations. They look impressive but must cost a lot.
32
32

whats it called
A large circular flat screw, head about 25mm diameter x 3mm thick. Chromed, with two pinholes for tightening/loosening. Seen on a glass topped counter. Presumably had a stub screw on the reverse and a...
4
4

Good quality waterproof gloves please
I am trying to buy some heavy duty waterproof gloves that are long enough to cover my forearms. I've Goggled, loads of gloves but sparse on details. I need them to clean out my outside grids, am fed...
7
7

Kitchen Surplus oak worktops - recommended
Just had my 40mm stave rustic oak worktops (3m * 720mm * 40mm) delivered. Ordered online Friday morning, selecting my delivery date as the following Tuesday (earliest available). Immediate order...

OT: Babbage's Printer
Was finally built in 2000, and works perfectly. Not only did it print, but has some surprisingly advanced features too. In fact its more advanced than any printer I've encountered from before the...
4
4