Lawnmower time

We've had a pocket handkerchief for the last <mumble> years, but this one's a little larger - about 50x25 metres.
I'm not really into stripes. Suggestions for a mower please?
Andy
Vir Campestris wrote:

Sheep and fence off a small patch for some mint to let them know who is boss!
"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
We've had a pocket handkerchief for the last <mumble> years, but this one's a little larger - about 50x25 metres.
I'm not really into stripes. Suggestions for a mower please?
A reputable manufactured rotary petrol. Keep it sharp and the blades balanced properly Your choice if you need mulching of cut sward, or not into a bag or vac attachment Wash it off properly after use or it'll rot Don't go for *anything* with a plastic base...Just don't. Electric mowers are for the occasional garden lawn mowing Sunday enthusiast,
On 11/03/2014 21:51, Nthkentman wrote:

My plastic-based honda begs to differ. However this may well be more expensive than the ones you're thinking of - they save steel for their cheaper models.
On 11/03/2014 21:51, Nthkentman wrote:

Yes. I have one of those, and it isn't going to be up to it.
(And sheep are just too much work. They spend all their time working out new ways to die)
Andy
On 11/03/2014 23:07, Vir Campestris wrote:

And, anyway, they only give you stripes when you've knitted their wool:~}
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 23:07:20 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:

Some years ago we stayed at a farmhouse B&B. On mentioning to the farmer's wife at breakfast that we'd seen one of the sheep on the lawn, she commented something to this effect "Sheep have two aims in life: one is to be where they shouldn't and the other is to die.".

My Qualcast mower has a plastic deck. In 20 years it has acquired a small crack that I've plated over to stop it spreading. Still working well and hardly ever cleaned after use.
No rust yet! Plastic decks aren't all bad.
Tim
On 11/03/2014 21:51, Nthkentman wrote:

Having had the rear wheels fall off my Hayter Hunter 41 at least three times so far (needing replacement of the plastic partial under tray) I would have to concur!
--
Cheers,

John.

I used to agree (having repaired a good many friends' ones).
However, if you go to a proper lawn mower stockist rather than the sheds, you'll find induction motor mowers (rather than the cheap universal motors used in most electric mowers), and I now rate induction motors better than petrol ones - they have exactly the right torque profile for mowing grass (whereas the cheap universal electric motors are exactly the wrong torque profile, and petrol is somewhere in the middle). Note that the power rating of an induction motor mower will often be somewhat lower for the same output power or cutting width, as they're more efficient.
When I last bought one, the induction motor mower was the most expensive of the choices (electric universal, electric induction, petrol). However, it doesn't need the servicing that a petrol mower needs, nor brush replacing of a universal motor (although most universal motor mowers are designed to be chucked out when the brushes wear out).
However, induction mowers were getting harder to find (people won't pay the extra, not understanding the difference), and it was some years ago since I last checked the market and bought one.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 12/03/2014 09:30, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Was there not some EU directive on motor noise that was going to prompt a general switch to induction motors?
--
Cheers,

John.

Sounds like the EU.
There's one coming which limits the power of vacuum cleaners, but I can't imagine any of the bureucrats use a vacuum cleaner, so if it takes twice as long, what would they care?
--
Andrew Gabriel

Are they, bejabers? Mains electric mowers are by far the best solution for small lawns, and we have had a few for the past 30+ years.

Sounds like the Daily Wail, actually. It isn't hard to make a reasonably quiet petrol motor if one tries, and almost all of the better ones are.
Regards, Nick Maclaren.
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message writes:

Are they, bejabers? Mains electric mowers are by far the best solution for small lawns, and we have had a few for the past 30+ years.
Which part of the op's post about the size did you miss? 300ft x 80ft.... That's a bloody long extension lead
That's NOT a small garden suitable for an electric mower on regular use.

You clearly did not read the post I was responding to.
(a) That is NOT a small lawn. (b) It is complete nonsense that they are for solely the class of gardeners specified; they are commonly used for business premises (often large ones), where the amount of grass is small and next to the building.
I wouldn't use one for a 24,000 square foot lawn, either. Mine is a tenth that size, at most.
Regards, Nick Maclaren.
@gmail.com says...

He said 50 x 25 metres, which is about half that size.
I use a 50 + m cable to cut our hedges.
Janet.
"Janet" wrote in message says...

He said 50 x 25 metres, which is about half that size.
I use a 50 + m cable to cut our hedges.
With a lawnmower?
@gmail.com says...

No, I just whirl the cable round and round very very fast. I got the idea from using a strimmer.
Janet.
On 12/03/14 19:42, Nthkentman wrote:

Perhaps they were prone, too?
--
Rusty Hinge
On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 17:33:47 +0000, Nthkentman wrote:

I missed the part where he said that. I did, however, see the bit that said it was half that length.