Subject Author Posted Replies

Adding a swivel base to an armchair
Has anyone here done this? Turntable-type chair bases seem to be available, though the ones I've seen have all been on US sites, but I wonder about a DIY approach, perhaps incorporating casters set...
22
22

Air brick or just drill a few holes in chimney?
I've cut out the hole for the soot door in the chimney and blocked the flue below the opening. All I need is for the soot door to arrive, and some ventilation once the soot door is fitted. Now it was...
3
3

IT problem (slightly OT)
Only DIY in the sense that I am trying to fix it; plenty of expertise here though! I have an Acer E1-572P about 9 months old which was fine once I got over the hassle of stripping out the bloat,...
64
64

Sink wastes question
I've only replaced two sink wastes in my life - one in an old sink I wanted to re-use, and one in a new. I found that in both cases, the hole in the bottom of the sink wasn't exactly round (with a gap...
8
8

Baseline elec consumption
Been idly looking at the graphs from our electricity monitor, Our baseline consumption seems to be about 250 Watts. Out of interest what is other peoples? We have running AFAICR: HP microserver and...
25
25

Fluorescent Lamp replacement
The 8' 135 watt Fluorescent tube in my office in the shop has finally given up on life. I'm looking for a replacement and realistically don't need such a high output so was looking at high frequency...

Lidl Cordless Screwdriver
Have a look at the cordless screwdriver available from Thursday, a real must for the work site! Richard
8
8

CH Running costs
I'm looking at replacing the NSH in our newly bought bungalow with either Oil or LPG. On a like for like basis which will give me the cheapest _running_ costs please. There's no mains gas where we are...
14
14

OT firefox and Chrome and/or KIS2015 uploading megabytes somewhere ??
Hi all, BT have finally chopped free newsgroup access so I am forced to use gmail f or now - no insults please :-). I upgraded kaspersky to KIS2015 at the start of january (it's free if you b ank with...
9
9

PCI graphics card
The graphics card on the 'spare' desktop has died. Need a new one as the motherboard doesn't have a DVI output, only VGA. Don't use it for gaming so just want a basic card which will do 'HD'...
13
13

A tongue in cheek suggestion for a power source.
Right, the world seems to have one heck of a lot of stored plutonium, and with the lack of a nuclear war to use it in, its all beginning to be rather an embarrassment. So a lot of spacecraft have been...
14
14

Microbore pipes
My central heating uses microbore pipes thta look like they are 8mm diameter (need to measure to confirm) they are embedded in the plaster of the walls. I am wondering if there is a method for...
3
3

thermodynamic panels
anyone got em yet? any good? Jim K This blog was updated in February 2014, 6 November 2014 and 10 March 2015. If someone told you that there's a new solar panel that could he
23
23

Electric underfloor heating (wired) thermostat - help
We've an old, electric, E7, u/f heating system (30+ years). The living room thermostat packed in so I tossed it out - should have kept it for referenc e, but there you go. It had only two connections...
9
9

CH - UFH manifolds
I will have 2 UFH circuits. The conservatory which must be controllable and a tiny 3m2 one in a rear shower room (that does not exist yet). Obviously need a blender. I notice these tend to come as an...
12
12