Disconnecting car battery

Just did some attempted checks to the ruddy airbag warning system wiring on wife's Daewoo.

After doing it I read on a forum that I should have disconneced the positive lead of the battery. I had disconnected the negative.

Does it ever make a difference and why? (likewise sequence for connecting chargers and jump leads)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Fundamentally, no. But there may be practical reasons.

eg - if I jump start 2 negative chassis cars, I will connect the positive lead first. The other way around, I might drop one end of the live +ve onto the body of the other car and cause a short (= bit of a bang).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Basically, if the +ve is disconnected, the *only* way a reconnect can happen is if the +ve terminal is connected to the +ve lead.

If the -ve is disconnected, an inadvertent reconnection could happen if

*any* part of the chassis touched the -ve terminal.

In terms of jump leads, ISTR you connect +ve to +ve first, so you're not waving a +ve jump lead around when both cars are at the same earth potential.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You commonly disconnect the ground terminal as when working on the car near the battery, there is less chance of shorting things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just did some attempted checks to the ruddy airbag warning system wiring on

Your method is safer.

I have seen what can happen when the other end of the spanner used to disconnect the positive touches metal on the car whilst negative is still connected.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

The safe way is to disconnect -ve first and reconnect it last. Then, if you're using something metallic to tighten the connection it doesn't matter if it touches the bodywork while you're doing it.

Reply to
cl

As long as there is no circuit, I do not see that it matters except your radio will never work again once the battery is off a car for more than a minute or so, in my experience. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I always disconnect -ve first, for the simple reason that if you knock the spanner against the bodywork whilst you're undoing +ve, and -ve is still connected, you're going to get a big fat spark.

Can't think of many reasons to do anything else.

Reply to
Adrian

Why? That sounds like complete nonsense to me. Have you never changed a car battery?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

The radios that I've come across have a code that has to be re entered after disconnection to hopefully stop them being used if stolen. They always work ok after the code is entered.

Reply to
TomSawer

Sounds like the *only* sensible way to do it (assuming negative earth).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Many newer ones don't even have a code - they're so cheap these days that nobody nicks 'em.

Reply to
Adrian

And they appear to have proporietary fixings. I have no idea how our Citroen unit could be fitted into another model of Citroen, let alone another make of car.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Because plenty require a PIN if they have been disconnected, basically theft protection.

Fraid not.

Yep, and got that result, the radio didn't work anymore.

No big deal if you have the PIN, can be a problem if you don't.

Reply to
John Jackson

About two thirds of postings to uk.rec.car.maintenance are requests for radio codes. OEM head units are, it seems, dead easy to figure the PIN for.

Reply to
Adrian

I took care to write down the radio code for one of my cars. When I happened to remove the radio, I discovered it was on a label stuck to it.

:-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Having just got a new car this thread reminded me I haven't got the radio code. Then I thought hang on were is the radio? 7" touch screen, does satnav, radio, phone, etc. There is a panel with a few buttons and manual on off and volume and another panel near that with a slot for CD's/DVD's. ie the radio is fully integrated into the vehicle. There is no easy to get at, self contained, unit to nick.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice