garden steps: what size nosings?

Hello,

Time and weather permitting, I have built my garden steps. I laid a slab of concrete (thanks to the advice to an earlier question) and I have use bricks to make the "frame" of the steps. I just need to lay some paving slabs to make the treads.

I was hoping to use 400mm x 400mm paving slabs and have two side by side, to make a step that is 400 mm x 800 mm. However, these overhang the bricks by up to 65mm.

Web sites give me different answers: some say the nosing (overhang) should only be one centimetre; others say it should be one or two inches. Having a 65mm nosing would save me having to cut it but some web sites suggest a big nosing is a trip hazard.

Other web sites suggest a big nosing would be a fulcrum causing the slab to lift off the stairs.

What do you think the optimum size should be?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

IMO overhang should be the thickness of the slab.

Reply to
Capitol

40 to 50mm

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Enough to stop the water running down the riser brickwork. Not too much that it'll snap off when you run up it. Not too much that you'll trip.

mark

Reply to
mark