Subject Author Posted Replies

Latest paint advice
We fairly recently painted our hall and stairs with a white satin finish, not sure now of the make, but have been disappointed because it's remained slightly sticky to the touch and has to be sorted...
7
7

reshaping layout domestic waste chamber
Hi, I need to remove the white flexi pipe shown in the image to create a longer term solution in getting the bathroom waste into the mains sewer pipe. Building control have told me to amend the...
11
11

wiring help
I have rigged up PIR to flood indoors to check it before installing outdoors. When wired up the PIR `clicks` and also using a non contact voltage detector it appears that live is getting through....
35
35

c.12" lifting platform
On an off chance, does anyone know if it's possible to buy something like a 1m sq. platform which can be raised/lowered (hydraulically or mechanically) about a foot ? In my minds eye I'm thinking of a...
11
11

Loft tank - new query; temporary repair.
This relates to the previous loft tank post, but another option. Apart from the problem of finding a tank that will fit, the easy option man y years ago was to place the CH header tank such that it...
14
14

Puzzled by Y plan
On the wiki the Y plan diagram shows the orange wire to the 3 port valve, w hich is described as having odd voltages on it at times, connected to the p ump & boiler. Surely this isn't right, it must...
5
5

Wiring clarification please.
On this LED floodlight the driver unit has 2 brown wires on the left side(1&2) and on the right side it has a red+ (3)and a black wire (4)which go to the LED light. When wiring to the mains should I...
3
3

OT Apprentices and wages
The most interesting bit is the last sentence of the story. So what do you get paid these days if you go to college when you leave school? A report says apprentices are paid 'exploitative rates' and...
41
41

Electric instantaneous water heaters - experiences please!!
I'm considering replacing am old gas water heater (Main Medway) with an ele ctric one. As far as I can see it needs at least 18kW for a bath or shower, maybe more like 21kW or 24kW. I just need to...
12
12

OT Are the Frogs morePC thaan us?
Former film star Brigitte Bardot, France’s iconic blonde bombshell and “sex kitten” who reigned supreme from 1952 - 1973, is currently on trial for the fifth time for insulting Muslims and...
8
8

OT Wind Turbines
Scotland to achieve 50% of it's electricity from renewable sources by 2020. http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Business/TrenRenEnergy
8
8

OT ish. Packaging
Last week I install a light fitting for a customer, hideous thing in my opinion, but there you are. It had three arms, with glass droplets attached, linked by chains of droplets. It came in a box....
13
13

tap keeps leaking at same spot
I have a shower tap that keeps leaking. I have reseated it 3 times with a tool that grinds down the metal to remove a groove that that reappears in the same spot. I began to think the brass is...
1
1

Sticking radiator valve.
This is on the only rad in our bathroom. Installed new in 2012 so not too ancient. One valve takes 3.5 turns on to off. The other will only go about 1.25 turns. Valves are identical so I'm presuming...
4
4

MDPE olives
A couple of years or so ago our water mains were replaced and the company used blue MDPE connected to a brass stopcock. This has been leaking for a while - getting to a steady drip-drip-drip the other...
15
15