Latest paint advice

We fairly recently painted our hall and stairs with a white satin finish, not sure now of the make, but have been disappointed because it's remained slightly sticky to the touch and has to be sorted out.

So what to use. It still appear that solvent based paint yellows, whilst water-based paints require several coats to cover. Some of the reviews are dire.

So all I want is good coverage paint that will be hard-wearing and remain white for as long as possible. It will require a primer/undercoat, because in places, removing the sticky stuff has exposed the wood. So any recommendations, as to a reliable brand ?

TIA

Reply to
Andy Cap

Wasn't Dulux Satinwood was it? Used some the other year and it's still got things sinking into it where it was used on windowsills etc.

Bought some Johnstones next and that was much better to use, although not used for any flat surfaces so not sure how much harder it is (currently in wrong building to check!)

Reply to
Scott M

I don't know about their satin, but the Johnstones water based gloss (Aqua range) dries (quickly) to a good resilient finish and does a pretty good impression of a 'real' gloss paint, without yellowing.

Reply to
GMM

I'm almost sure you're right, thinking it was decent quality.The water-based paints appear to require three coats ! so perhaps Johnstones is the way to go. Seem amazing though, that such a routine task has become something of a lottery, :-(

Reply to
Andy Cap

IMO water based paints are fine for everything except the topcoat. A reasonably sound gloss or satin can still only be achieved with a solvent based paint

Reply to
stuart noble

Was round today and had a prod at it (Johnstone's water based Satin in cream) with my nail. Nice and hard. Thinking about it, I must have checked it not longer after it was painted after the ferrago of the Dulux and don't recall it being soft then. Coverage was a lot better than the Dulux too.

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks for that. Did it just take one coat do you recall. There are several mentions of water-based paint needing as many as three. Another possibility appears to be Leyland, which is actually a bit cheaper and the reviews seem OK.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Johnstone's and Leyland are both brands of PPG.

Reply to
polygonum