Subject Author Posted Replies

"Snap-on" conduit?
I am going to pave part of my front garden. There are a BT cable and a Virgin Cable in the area where I wish to pave - both about 9 inches down. I am wondering if there is such a thing as "snap-on"...
10
10

My slab
Well that was fun. Slab needed for shed. Cement mixer, aggregate, sand, cement. Break in weather! Set everything up. Start cement mixer, put one bucket of aggregate and one of sand. Cement mixer...
19
19

OT but useful
I used AVG, Spybot, Superantispyware and Malwarebytes before I tried it out. It found four infections and I'm careful where I go. It seems to be safe and has good reviews. Thanks for reading. Now,...
19
19

Fractal antennae
Does anyone have any experience of these? The plots I've seen seem to have very variable gain/frequency responses.
23
23

Piano and suspended floor problem
We have an upright piano which, due to its weight is causing a sag in the suspended wooden floor (50's semi). Only 1 joist is really affected as the piano is aligned lengthwise along it. It is the...
15
15

Using Gmail accounts in Outlook [OT in uk.d-i-y]
I use Outlook as my main email client, and have lots of email accounts set up within it - mainly those linked to my (PlusNet) internet account, but also including one Gmail account. I have always -...
50
50

Revive Your Home with Vintage Wallpaper: Discover Where to Find Rare Patterns Online (2023 Update)
For trying to match some damaged 20 year old wallpaper. To find , hopefully, a colour,pattern and texture match for just 1 roll of remedial work rather than redoing the whole lot. Would it be possible...
42
42

Cable thingo
Old age has got me,what is a name for the tapered rubber protection protecting the flex where it leaves an appliance? in other words what would ebay call them?
3
3

Should I buy a scutching hammer?
What's the best tool for getting lumps of mortar off slightly fragile old bricks that I want to re-use (low garden wall, so strength not a major issue) because new ones wouldn't match visually? I...
9
9

Wiring help for outdoor lamp.
In the image below are the connections that are fed from an indoor light switch. On the mounting plate there are 3 wires Red/live, black/neutral and another thinner wire that is black and unconnected....
9
9

Maximum pressure
Does anyone have figures for the maximum pressure a normal domestic soldered copper pipe system (15mm) would be expected to stand? And a sort of safe working pressure.
26
26

OT If it can go wrong, it will!
1
1

Twin screened cable.
Have been looking for some twin screened flexible small diameter wire - actually for use in a car injection systems, for the feed from a VR crank position sensor etc which needs to be screened. Lucas...
21
21

Strange landline behaviour
Got a plain Tesco phone which started a strange behaviour which I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced before. It started ringing with a continuous (i.e. no spaces between rings) whilst on-hook...
12
12

Has anybody got a workshop from proworkshop.co.uk?
I'm looking to build a new workshop and I've come across these guys at Has anyone any experience of them. They look quite tempting to me but if you've any first hand experience I'd love to know....
9
9