Maximum pressure

Does anyone have figures for the maximum pressure a normal domestic soldered copper pipe system (15mm) would be expected to stand?

And a sort of safe working pressure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Richard

Pretty massive. I'd expect 10 bar to be the area where problems might start to happen.

I pressurised my UFH (plastic pipe, O ring seals) to 8 bar without issues.

Of course there are generally pressure relief valves in place somewhere.

1-2 bar typically.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At least 10 bar at a minimum - this is a figure that is often found as the max working pressure for boilers (on the potable side) and other devices (noting that certain devices may be limited to 6 bar, eg instantaneous water heaters).

Reply to
Tim Watts

It is American, so in fps units, but the Copper Tube Handbook contains all the data you are likely to need for various types of tube and joints:

Pressure ratings are pages 25-28.

Reply to
Nightjar

WoT?

My mains pressure is 7.5 bar.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My bad, I was thinking of normal primary circuit pressures in heating..usually a couple of bar. Of course mains pressure is much higher...

I should also add that what tends to fail, is not copper or solder butu screwfit and worst of all those pissy isolation valves which always seem to crap out and leak...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't, but I once sold a pressure washer to a garage who decided to plumb it into a ring main like they used for compressed air. They did it in 15mm copper with soldered joints.

The pressure washer was 150 bar!

Needless to say the joints exploded.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Interesting - garage air systems I've seen have used iron barrel. Of course that is physically stronger in terms of physical damage.

Right. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that, Tim. 50 psi would be the absolute max in the app I'm thinking of.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can also get push-fit aluminium or rigid nylon tube for air systems.

Steel pipe is cheaper, but more labour intensive to install and you need to plan the system carefully. It is all right-hand thread, so, if you want to add something, you need to dismantle from one end back to where you want to add the extra connection.

Reply to
Nightjar

The airline was iron barrel. For some reason they assumed copper would do for the water.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Couplers are your friend.

Reply to
Capitol

I wouldn't particularly want to cut 2" steel pipe in situ.

Reply to
Nightjar

Don't think you'd use 2" steel pipe for the average garage air system..

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you sure of that? 100+ psi. I've never checked mine but your figure seems very high.

Reply to
Nick

It is what I used for my factory air systems, but even cutting 3/4"steel pipe would present problems.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes I'm sure. Had a gauge on it.

It is high by mains standards, but we have a lot of hills around here. As I said earlier, most fittings tend to be rated at 10 bar (with odd exceptions) so you could potentially go higher.

Even JG speedfit plastic pipe can do over 10 bar cold and more than 6 bar at ot water temperatures (probably way more - I merely checked that it would work for me, I drop my pressure to 3-5 bar through a PRV before it hits the distribution pipes).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Used to do a fair bit of conduit work in the day. It was certainly hard work. Chop saws weren't common then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Angle Grinder!

Reply to