Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Greenie hippies win court case forcing the Netherlands to sling up more useless wind turbines.
We are probably next to see the same and the resulting hike in our energy bills I suppose. Philip A court in the Netherlands orders the government to cut greenhouse gas emissions by at least 25% by...
7
7

Answer to a maiden's prayer ?
I got an email flier in from TLC this morning including an Instant Hot wate r Handwash Tap from Redring @£49. Has anyone any experience of these ? Our house is single storey so the gra vity feed DHW...
20
20

Car door lock suddenly noisy
One of the door locks on my Nissan Note has started producing a sort of mechanical whirring sound when I lock it with the key-remote; the actual locking (and unlocking) still works perfectly....
5
5

New boiler
Last I heard, Vaillant and Worcester Bosch are the two boilers of choice. Is that still the case? It's just a combi for a two-bedroom bungalow, btw.
11
11

Electric drill sparking like a good 'un..
D'day, My old Wickes electric drill has started sparking brightly from the back end, presumably where the brushes are located. It also cuts out intermittently. Is the drill in the throes of giving up...
15
15

OT: Family mobile phone deals
Anyone got a bundled package they would recommend...? Not fussed if its contract or PAYG - but if PAYG must have automatic topup. Don't need phones - SIM only. The one I was using (Family Mobile) have...
42
42

OT: Lazy language
I hate the use of the word 'aerials' to describe shots taken from a drone. 'Aerials' are those things that transmit radio waves, not some super-abbreviated version of 'aerial photographs'. E.G:...
53
53

Mechanical to Electrical
Hi all Just wondering whether there was some sort of fairly easy way to work out mechanical work done and the likely resulting electrical output. The idea was to make the equivalent of the old...
26
26

Why does circular saw blade scorch the timber?
Recently acquired a 3ph saw bench (Norsaw 1603) with 16" Trend tct blade, 40 tooth I think. Saw needed a little fettling. After a trial run I removed blade and delivered to sawdoctor for sharpening....
18
18

Repainting radiator
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to...
18
18

Lidy DIY Mon 29th June
One thing on offer is an impact driver. Claims 180Nm torque. At 40 quid. Looks like it may use the same Li-Ion battery as the recent drill, jigsaw and circular saw. Be nice if it did.
3
3

Belt sanders
I bought a B&Q PPPro belt sander about 10 years[0] ago on a bit of a whim to try and scrape old cruddy paint off walls. Didn't work terribly well and since then its languished in the tool box. Dug it...
15
15

Unproduced products?
I have had an idea. Short hex-headed screwdriver bits are widely available and used, with relat ively long handles. One should be able to obtain a "handle" of approximate ly zero length, in the form...
10
10

Stitch welding (repair of cast iron)
A good example of a stitch welding repair on a Car SOS programme yesterday, repairing an axial crack in a cast iron cylinder head of an Austin 12. What wasn't clear from what they showed is how they...
4
4

2 wheeled tractor?
How does it stay upright? NT Saw this at the Moto Guzzi rally in Salida, CO. WTF??
18
18