2 wheeled tractor?

How does it stay upright?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Andrew Mawson

With segways, this sort of thing is almost commonplace, but it's not the method used by this tractor. This uses four small wheels concealed within the two tractor tyres.

GB

The first Segway!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Obviously it predates segway technology

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's still staying up like one though. It's just that the feedback loop has a bloke in it. He's balancing it with the throttle.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Is it like a segway? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Bloody things are a menace, but a tractor variant sounds dangerous. I guess it could be worse. i could be driving it! I'm blind you see, for those who did not get the joke. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

2 hours after the correct explanation given you're still sticking with that one?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'm not sure why you imagine that time is important, but I have some more news for you. Now it's now 13 hours after hidden-wheels explanation was put forward and I'm *still* sticking with throttle-balancing as the more plausible of the two.

A 5-minute web-search hasn't turned up any convincing link between the Popular Mechanics cutting and the tractor in the video. If I was to want to make a 9-second video of a vehicle apparently balancing on a single axle, I know which method I'd try first. I reckon I'd have a reasonable chance of success too.

Of course, it could be either (or neither). The tone of your post suggests that you might have some information which I don't and which puts the matter beyond doubt. If you have then please share it with us. Until then, I'm happy with my original opinion.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Balancing such a low geared machine at such a low speed on the throttle would be exceedingly difficult IMO. It's just not a credible explanation.

It would clearly be useless functionally and has presumably just been built as a "teaser" like the "smokey stover" two wheeled fire engine. The tyres with internal rollers is just way more credible.

Tim

Tim+

Early 2 wheeled fire engines were designed to be attached to an existing 2 wheeled pump, creating a crude but functional 4 wheel vehicle. Fire depts used that sort of equipment in the early 1900s

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
[29 lines snipped]

When we went to China some 30 years ago, we saw zillions of 2 wheeled tractors, all joined to a 2 wheeled trailer of some kind. They looked like the engine could be used for all kinds of things, pumps, generators, etc. I thought they were quite clever.

Reply to
Huge

Knowing nothing about vintage tractors, I'm guessing it's a lightly modified "ordinary" two-wheeled tractor with the handlebars removed. A vintage version of this type of thing:-

Given how long they've been around, I'd be surprised if no-one ever decided to see if they could learn to make one balance without an implement attached. The question is, did anyone manage to get good enough to ride it for as long as that 9-second video?

Looks like we'll just have to agree to differ.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Interesting answer. The tyres do appear quite flat at the bottom. But even if it has 4 concealed wheels within the tyre the wheelbase would be very sh ort and might still require an element of balancing. Certainly with that bu lk at the front I would find it hard to believe it wouldn't tip forward on its 4 wheels without the driver as a counter balance.

Reply to
fred

Assuming it's made or adapted specially for demo purposes, then it could be gyroscopically stabilised like these but forwards-backwards instead of left-right...

That would explain the servo 'hunting', but without seeing it on smooth ground it's hard to tell. If it were the case, then the driver would need no special skill.

Of course it could also be for small wheels as suggested in which case there would be some skill involved.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

How much weight is at the front? It has a large bonnet, but it may be mostly empty inside. It sounds like a lawnmower engine that is driving it.

It could be that it simply tips forward when the driver gets off. It needs to be balanced with his weight on, so removing the driver could make it tip. I can't see why that would be a problem, though?

I expect the whole thing is far lighter than it looks.

Reply to
GB

Here you are:

These and the push bike where the primary means of local transport in rural China when I spent 6 weeks travelling through in early '93. Longer distances was public bus. If you saw a car, very rare outside the major cities, it was a party member,

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Spot on. They were *everywhere*.

We went in 1987, I think.

And usually an 'S' Class with blacked out windows.

Reply to
Huge