Stitch welding (repair of cast iron)

A good example of a stitch welding repair on a Car SOS programme yesterday, repairing an axial crack in a cast iron cylinder head of an Austin 12.

What wasn't clear from what they showed is how they achieve a perfect seal: the crack was cut out and replaced with a hand-fettled insert, before stitch welding across it, but it wasn't obvious if any sealant was put in during assembly or applied afterwards. You did see them finishing off by peening but surely that is not enough?

Reply to
newshound

When I've seen it (only on TV, not in person) they screw-in and then snap off special threaded inserts into the gap between the original and new metal, or just direct into the crack.

this might not be the best video, but it's what turned-up ...

Andy Burns

Interesting, thanks. I see they are using a thread sealant on each "pin" so I guess that is the secret, as well as finishing off by peening.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, as an ex engineer, retired now, it was very interesting to see how they did that repair. In my days, it was more usual to repair the crack by welding with cast rods, after grinding out the crack.

Reply to
BobH

Not sure if this is what you are referring to above, but there was an example of cold-stitching the block of an MG-TA in episode 2 of Car-SOS, Series 2, on More-4, about 33 mins in. Didn't show the whole process though.

Some discussion here:

Chris Hogg