OT: Family mobile phone deals

Anyone got a bundled package they would recommend...?

Not fussed if its contract or PAYG - but if PAYG must have automatic topup. Don't need phones - SIM only.

The one I was using (Family Mobile) have announced they are ceasing provision at the end of August.

The deal I am currently on is PAYG, currently with 4 phones on the account. Voice 8p/min, Text 4p/each, Data 5p/MB. No bundled or included minutes etc. With our current usage that worked out about £30 per month.

Reply to
John Rumm

No answering directly, but the CoOp mobile seem to have SIMs that you can pay in a very fine grained way (£4/month being the lowest).

I have been looking for one for my daughter when she goes to secondary school - the deal being we load it for her to SMS us if she's stuck - and if she wants to wibble, she pays the extra.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Which reminds me - if you've got PAYG with automatic topup, doesn't that still leave you exposed to the various charging scams/foreign usage problems/etc?

Reply to
Clive George

Was wondering how it worked. I've got PAYG as I'm not a mobile phone person being old, and find it dead easy to top up in several different ways.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Knowing your usage would help a lot, including if you are mainly calling each other. As an example, GiffGaff give you free cake to other GiffGaff users.

Reply to
Toby

No, I mean calls, I doubt any provider give you free cake!!

Damn you auto correct!

Reply to
Toby

When you have more than one phone on an account, you really need to ask around, as you will get better than published prices from some of the providers. I certainly did from Vodafone for multiple SIM contracts (which reminds me, it's probably time to call up and haggle over them).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Maybe GiffGaff should steal that idea. My fat SiL would love it.

Reply to
ARW

Have you looked at 3's 3-2-1 PAYG? [Voice 3ppm, texts 2p, data 1p/MB]

I *think* you can have auto top-up if you register a card with them. [I just buy a top-up voucher in order to remain totally anonymous].

Not sure whether you can have more than one on the same account - but does that really matter at that price?

The phones would need to be unlocked and 3 or 4G capable, of course.

Reply to
Roger Mills

No more so than contract I suppose - you can place a limit on the amount topped up, you also get a text and an email each time it does, so you would soon know if something odd were happening.

Reply to
John Rumm

Relatively low usage - say no more than 250 mins/month all phones combined. Perhaps 20 to 30 texts each. No (or very rare) international calls, no premium rate. Some time spent calling each other - but that is not the lions share. A decent data bundle would probably be handy.

Reply to
John Rumm

No I had not seen that. I shall go look, thanks.

The one account thing is more for ease of management (and if doing PAYG reduces the total amount of "credit" that is sat there idle)

They are all unlocked - probably all at least 3G capable.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1 for 3's 321 tariff. Plus great if going abroad to many countries.
Reply to
Robert

I found a free Kitkat Chunky in my delivery from ironmongerydirect yesterday :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That's quite a lot. We pay around the same for 4 x 1 year contract with EE, each inc 500 mins, 500 txts, 50 picture messages, and 1GB data. All were t-mobil originally, so only 3G. They started at around £10/month when we got them a couple of years ago, but I have negotiated them down to around £7.50 each when they were about to expire.

Out local Tesco regularly have signs outside their Tesco Mobile section for £7.50/month for a similar deal.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Note, with Giffgaff you can't have them all on one account, each sim has to have it's own account.

Reply to
Chris French

I would also suggest taking a good look at GiffGaff. It runs on O2's network.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Depends on the provider. My provider (Giff Gaff) allows you to set limits on top up to once or twice (and possibly 3 times- I cant remember) per month.

Reply to
CB

Yes, but be aware that to use it abroad (in qualifying countries) for the same price as at home, you have to buy an add-on bundle. It doesn't work with pure PAYG. Unlike PAYG credit, add-on allowances expire after

30 days if you haven't used them up.
Reply to
Roger Mills

If you're having to top up PAYG that frequently, wouldn't a monthly tarrif be better value?

I only top up my PAYG about 3 times a year - 20 quid a go.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)