Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Ping TNP re BBC R4 Today Sizewell C
Well, you do give it a go, don't you. #Paul

Who ordered that?
Excavating some planting holes for fruit trees, I found what appears to be a concrete slab 750mm or so below lawn level. Lots of domestic waste in the soil mix so presumably originally installed below...
18
18

OT The apprentice dropped his mobile phone down the Portaloo today
What fun. Days do not get better than today.
13
13

What material is used to support heating elements?
I'm trying to repair a vintage electric heater. What do you call the stuff which looks like silver coloured cardboard, to support the heating element? I want to order some, but have no idea what to...
7
7

Type B vs type C RCBOs - and trip warning indicators for power failure?
I was just looking at the consumer unit (see second question further down)...but first was puzzled as to why, given that three lighting circuits in the house use type B6 RCBOs, there is a type C6 RCBO...
9
9

LED lamp glows after being disconnected
I replaced a load of ceiling lights in the house yesterday with LED fitments. I noticed that one of them continued to glow for some time after being turned off. The others don't do this. I swapped the...
16
16

roof collapse walthamstow
I heard it had been recently converted into flats. Seven people were evacuated from homes after a horrifying roof collapse. Seven people were evacuated from homes after a horrifying roof collapse.
32
32

EV current draw at boot up
Anyone out there with an EV got a multi-meter with a clamp to measure current draw at boot up? Wondering just how small a battery pack I can get away with as “boot up battery” in the event of a...
21
21

Powerbank / USB question
Could someone check my homework please :-) I am thinking about a USB powered lamp in the event of future power cuts - linked to a powerbank. I believe the typical output from a powerbank is 2 amps at...
73
73

Insulating (internally) a 1930s solid brick wall
I would like to insulate a solid brick wall in a room composed partly of solid walls with lime mortar (and probably plaster) and partly of cavity walls in the extended part. Googling suggests that a)...
37
37

OT Tomorrow's World 1989 house of the future in 2020
What are the biggest changes to our homes going to be by the year 2020? Will the house of the future be environmentally friendly? What new materials might they be manufactured from, and what new...
42
42

Hand saw
All mine were so old they were inherited. I needed to cut several inches off a plywood box. I took a chance and bought a 15tpi 14" saw from Toolfix this morning. It cost under £6 and did the job...
17
17

The Fire Brigade were ever so nice about it ...
We had a false alarm on our burglar/fire alarm in the middle of the night. I got up, checked the house carefully for fire, and entered the cancel code - all within 2 or 3 minutes of the alarm going...
18
18

Render or plaster?
Ive built a brick and block cavity wall, plan is to foam-glue kingspan seconds to the inside for insulation. But it has cracks and holes in some of the mortar, I want to stop any moisture and vapour...
10
10

OT: Cost of living crisis and whisky
Everything has gone up in cost except whisky, I can still get a litre for £16, why would this be? I'd love the price of spirits to go through the roof then i'd have better motivation to cut down!
25
25