What material is used to support heating elements?

I'm trying to repair a vintage electric heater. What do you call the stuff which looks like silver coloured cardboard, to support the heating element? I want to order some, but have no idea what to search for.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

For example, the support used here:

Commander Kinsey

Mica? Though I'd hardly associate it with cardboard.

Reply to
Fredxx

This stuff:

Fredxx

That's the one, thanks! I found some here. It's like paper or thin card.

Commander Kinsey

That's the stuff, I've found some of a better shape and ordered it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It is quite likely to be Muscovite mica if it is old enough.

eBay will have it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've bought

which just says Mica.

What do you mean "old enough"? Modern fanheaters use it to support the heating coil. I'm not interested in making it look exactly like the original inside, I just need to support some coil. It originally used bars, which are no longer made in that size, and solid ceramic pieces at each end that the bars slotted into.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey