OT: Cost of living crisis and whisky

Everything has gone up in cost except whisky, I can still get a litre for £16, why would this be? I'd love the price of spirits to go through the roof then i'd have better motivation to cut down!

Reply to
R D S

The price of spirits is mostly tax. On a 750ml bottle of 40% spirits the spirits duty is £8.62, and then there's 20% VAT on top. For your £16 whisky:

£16 purchase price

-£2.67 VAT

-£8.62 spirits duty =£4.71 cost of production, distribution, profit for producer and merchant.

Let's say the cost of production is £2 - the price going up by 10% inflation would add 20p to the price.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Because you are buying cheap whisky... :-)

The bulk of the price is the duty on the alcohol content, not the drink itself - and inflation does not affect the duty rate.

(the duty rate is currently £28.74/litre of pure alcohol - so on a basic

40% spirit that is £11.50 in duty. Presumably you add VAT to that as well so at £16 you are paying £2.20 for the actual drink - even if it went up in price 50% it would only make a bottle a bit over a quid more expensive)

Well I just noticed that Laphroaig Quarter Cask has gone up a fiver on Amazon... but only a quid a waitrosecellar.com, so I might get in quick :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

:-)

Jack Daniel's: £17 a bottle in Asda last week.

We bought two.

The other day: The Famous Grouse for £17 a litre.

70cl bottle: £16.

Bought a litre.

Reply to
JNugent

because everybody has been told all prices are going up they expect it like you...companies are just taking the operchancity to make extra money....I have seen prices go up and go down again due to sales resistance.....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Because Whisky that is £16/L is utter pish and the only suitable use is to stop your windscreen washer bottle from freezing.

Reply to
mm0fmf

LOL, I always buy whatever is £16/l at Sainsburys.

We went to a place once that had all the single malts and as we worked our way through (some of) them the conversation was along the lines of "that one is like Grants.... that one is like Famous Grouse..." etc.

Reply to
R D S

Amazon are putting up prices now so they can "reduce" them for the black friday sales.

Reply to
alan_m

add it to coffee.

Reply to
charles

If you are going to drink Whisky you may as well drink something decent. The cheap Vodkas and Gins of the world are fine as you mix them into cocktails or with mixers. There again if you can't taste the difference between single or blended Malts and grain Whiskies then you may as well stick to alcopops. Or Brasso! :-)

Sadly the Fish Woman wont let us have £16/L hooch up here in God's own country, minimum pricing makes 1L of Whisky cost at least £20. The Aldi & Lidl in Carlisle are only 10mins from the M6 and do a roaring trade with passing Scots picking up cheap drink.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Not just me then?

I was working in a alcohol rehabilitation place in Doncaster a few weeks ago and there was a leaflet about how many units of alcohol you are safely allowed to drink.

I asked if that was daily or weekly.

Reply to
ARW

The Lidl's single malt is not bad.

Reply to
ARW

Since this is uk.d-i-y I would have thought talk of making your own was the subject !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yep, very easy to do, but not legal.

Reply to
farter

And even then it will clog up the pump and nozzles

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Famous grouse is not bad.

But glenfiddich it aint

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Meths is 1/2 the price and a nicer colour ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Should have asked or hourly ;-)

I've know some people to be confused by the labels on food the RDA in cal. kcal. or %

Is it Recommended Daily Amount or Recommended Daily Allowance, both are quite different

Reply to
whisky-dave

My standard cheap drinking whisky is Grants 40% I don't like the 50% one. and you don't have to chance the 'astard if it roles away from you being in a triangular bottle.

Prefer Isle of Jura.

Don't like many of the american whiskeys unless with mixer, Jim beam was OK.

But in pubs and clubs tend to go for JD & coke. went to the garage in islington and double JD & coke £9.70

I used to like drambuie but after the first dozen it gets a bit sickly :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Nonsense, just fill out one of these:

Fredxx