Hand saw

All mine were so old they were inherited.

I needed to cut several inches off a plywood box.

I took a chance and bought a 15tpi 14" saw from Toolfix this morning. It cost under £6 and did the job perfectly.

When I proudly showed my decorator/ builder currently transformng my cave, he laughed and said "They are cheap but you can't resharpen them. The steel is rubbish".

But for £6 it seemed good value for money. My dad wold have sniffed though. If it wasn't Sheffield Steel he wouldn't have touched it.

Truthfully, I hate the throw awy culture. I try and fix everything.

Reply to
pinnerite

Cheer yourself up by watching someone painstakingly restoring something most would regard as “junk”.

To be honest, I think he only did it to show off. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Would you know how to re-sharpen it if you wanted to? If not, why is that a problem?

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Possibly true but I bet your builder doesn't sharpen saws and uses the same type.

Reply to
alan_m

All my builders bought cheap saws and threw them away after a couple of weeks. Way cheaper than resharpening them.

Of course they can be resharpened, but they tend to me made of softer steel with a hardened edge, and once that goes they don't last.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably a 'hard point' with induction hardened teeth. Mine is probably 30 years old & still going strong. I class it as a 'roughing' saw for cuts that don't have to be accurate or might have nails in or to take to a job in the car.

Reply to
wasbit

With many you can see the very narrow hardened edge as it is discoloured

- probably edge hardened using some very fast induction heating process.

Reply to
alan_m

And downgrades them for insulation cutting. I suspect modern saw steel is too hard for conventional filing anyway.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think its the other way around. The steel is soft with a hardened edge. Once that has gone, the saw is effectively junk

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I see them described as hardpoint saws.

Reply to
GB

Yes. However the steel must first be suitable for induction hardening. I am not a metallurgist but you can't harden mild steel without adding carbon in some form.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

This is partly true. The teeth will be induction hardened and could not easily be resharpened with a conventional file anyway. So when it blunts it is in effect disposable.

However it will retain its edge for significantly longer than a traditional saw. It will probably cut faster, and also not be instantly blunted when cutting things like melamine faced board, chipboard, OSB etc.

Yup I sympathise, although doing a good job of sharpening a saw is a fairly slow process, and time is now no longer cheap. So often it is more cost effective and more productive, to buy a box of saws at the start of a large project - and just swap to a sharp one as the existing becomes too slow. The better "blunt" ones can serve as insulation saws etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

A triangular diamond faced needle file works on hardened teeth. The main problem is that you can't reset the teeth after sharpening.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Not very hard to do...

The Natural Philosopher

I have sharpened a hard-point saw but I didn't dare to try to re-set it in case the points sanpped off.

Reply to
PeterC

I found the resetting tool simply wouldn't do anything.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Another thing that sounded good was a Spear and Jackson tenon saw which was Teflon coated. However after a surprisingly short time the Teflon wore off in the area of highest friction, leaving the blade to start to go rusty. Not a fan of the plastic handle either. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Likely because it has hardened teeth. So will stay sharp for a lot longer than one designed to be re-sharpened. No matter how 'fine' that steel may be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News