Subject Author Posted Replies

Central heating
I have an old style boiler installed over 20 years ago, vented system, Wickes (Halstead) 40/50. The boiler works fine but every time it starts up it has air in the system, lots of bangs, cracks and...
5
5

Floor again - result!
My mate had a genius idea to the dormer with just 4x2" ceiling joists under a couple of alcove areas (main floor is 8x2"). Turns out there is just room to run a 6x2" C24 (red in the above picture)...

Bed a monobloc tap in silicone or plumbers mait?
It is through a worktop rather than the kitchen sink itself. I want to stop it spinning and also seal it. Which would you use? Brendan.
3
3

ON topic Valentines present
Bought and fitted her a 2 gang socket with USB outlet as a surprise whilst she is at work.
14
14

Mono Laser All in Ones now less than thirty quid!
Amazed at this. Comes with 1200 page toner, i.e. just throw the printer away when done and buy another one. Ricoh SP112SU Multi-Function A4 Mono Laser Printer eBuyer currently has them for £25...
25
25

OT: a very good review of the looming UK grid crisis
As against fancy models, Euan looks at precisely how much reliable capacity really exists on the UK grid, and how close we are to a blackout. UK Blackout Risk – Amber Warning | Energy Matters
30
30

Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas is..
The tool top end all tools... Gosh. Imagine setting that loose in Islington.. BAE Systems unveils its reworked 'Swiss Army knife' armoured vehicle - aptly named the Terrier
5
5

ON topic: Angry homeowner gets revenge on commuter who parked in her driveway
Now that's what I call DIY. When a driver prevented builders from working on Julie Geue's drive, she seized the opportunity to get her own back
38
38

Games room and garage
Just so you can see how the other half live. Got to work this morning, climbed up the ladder to see this games room This is the view from below showing the garage. I love that brickwork I am sure his...
11
11

Attic floor strengthening
My attic as been floorboarded but there is a sag where a room below has been opened out leaving 2m unsupported. The joists are 3" x 2". I've just been next door and he's replaced these with 8" x 2" so...
9
9

New disabled staircase?
I could fit a second staircase to the back of my house. If so it could be disabled access from the start. But what is disabled access? How is a chair lift you sit on different than a wheelchair lift,...
32
32

OT: What part of this don't you understand?
From "Upon arrival At this car park we use barcode recognition technology. When you arrive at the entry barrier, please scan your barcode and we'll issue you a ticket." Wondering if the barcode off a...
3
3

Motorhome propane tank - safe emptying/use
I managed to "blag" a gas tank from a similar motorhome, but it turned out that they were not quite same enough. So it won't fit in my MH and a gas fitter told me that as it is more than 10 years...
16
16

3500 messages!
Just back from a week at the NEC and this list has 3587 unread messages. There is no way I can read that lot. Mike
17
17

Beko dryer problem
After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish sort of smell and the house RCD tripping. I've no...
14
14