Glass blocks

Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act as a shower screen.

Not something I'd tackle & they are having trouble finding a builder willing to tackle the job as well.

Anyone had ant experience of building one or know of any companies who do?

Reply to
David Lang

For inspiration, youtube?

search "glass block wall installation"

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

New Age Glass in Chichester, they are not cheap :) but the work is very good.

Reply to
MrCheerful

We had those blocks in the toilets in primary school.

I don't see the difficulty as long as you use the right sort of mortar.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

AFAICR its a simple job of building a wall with glass bricks, that's all.

I ended up getting some safety glass cut to fit and glazing the wall instead..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I built a wall light panel with these. I used the plastic strips available to allow me to seat the blocks on silicone, the strips also are used between the blocks as spacers. I can't remember the source after 13 years, but search on line. The strips are about 3ft x 2 in x

1/4 in The blocks sit nicely on the strips, but only use silicone in the middle to fix the blocks, use acryllic filler to finish off the joints on the outside. I didn't do this and it was a pig to get the blocks clean with a golden fleece and a lot of work. Using silicone + acryllic means any movement is absorbed, so no cracking of blocks or joints. The plasic strips give the wall rigidity, so no reinforcing is necessary. If I can do, I'm sure you can!
Reply to
Capitol

DIY. Used the correct mortar and spacers and dont forget the strengthening bars.

I thought they were a bit out-of-date, like gyproc coving ?.

Being 4 inches thick, you do lose some valuable space and there is still the problem of how to deflect water at the bottom and edges.

Might be cheaper to price up a sheet of toughened glass suitably etched.

Reply to
Andrew

Just looked up the records, the brand was Speedset, but I have no record of whom I bought the plastic strips from. Can't trace someone selling this product at the moment, but newer products of the same type are around.

Reply to
Capitol

They're too see-through for that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And spacers. I *think* there are special spacers that can be used during assembly to get a nice even grid, but it would require some googling.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Going to be bloody heavy though I'd have thought, hope the floor can stand it! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The blocks are hollow, so not as bad as it initially might seem.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You could also use lots of empty jam-jars.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Wine bottles, surely? People who like such walls wouldn't dream of eating jam. Bad for the health - unlike wine. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Old money would eat it if the label called it a conserve, New money if is labeled a preserve, Those who feel they should have money but don't due to wanting to live in a hip area and paying of their student loans eat jam providing the label has Artisan made on it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

They're easy - it's just a big tiling job. The vendors sell the bits you need - blocks, mortar, metal rods to hold it all together, expansion strips for the edges, and instructions on what to do.

(though I'll admit I've never done one myself - but a builder here did one for us with no prior experience and it came out fine).

Google found me a supplier when I wanted to buy the stuff. I used simplyglassblocks last time, there are probably plenty more.

Reply to
Clive George