Subject Author Posted Replies

Bridge collapse
surprised that only the brick facing walls are holding in the outward forces resulting from the load on the roadway. Why not tie bars and spreader plates to stop the walls being pushed outwards?
44
44

OT: Euro notes not changed in UK?
I had a EUR 20 note recently which I needed to change for GBP, but apparent ly they can no longer be changed in the UK, I tried both my bank branch ("c omputer says no") and two bureaux de change...
18
18

More DIY (part 2)
I finished the second version: Garden bench - DIYWiki
14
14

Anyone here got a Bosch Rotak 40 mower?
Hi All, Trying to help an elderly couple with their 'Bosch Rotak 40' mains mower where the sprung loaded top flap has become unsprung: Now it looks like that spring should have an arm that goes though...
19
19

Has anyone made any Scottish or Northumbrian smallpipes?
I've made/restored a range of instruments and am wondering now about either making an "English" layout concertina or some smallpipes ... currently the smallpipes are top of the list so I'm starting a...
10
10

Soldering connector to electric hob cable?
For a Neff ceramic electric hob, I need to replace the cable from the control switch to the largest element. The previous cable had corroded where the right angle crimp connector attached to the hob...
15
15

Seized garden shredder
This is one of the crusher type, rather than a spinning knife. It failed to get appropriate maintenance last autumn unfortunately - ie one of us used it and didn't clean it out. Nor in hindsight did I...
5
5

OT More on wind turbines.
Study concludes there is no ‘detrimental effect’ on the number of holidaymakers in places with wind turbines
5
5

When we get old (er)
Will we be doing any of the following: Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we want? After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3 or 4 pulls...
37
37

OT - Fascias and Soffits
Hi all Any downsides to using the wrap over fascia in places where the fascia boards are solid, rather than going for full replacement? I am reluctant to get the gable fascias removed as there is a...
2
2

Persistent herbicides
Are there any available for public use now that sodium chlorate is banned? I'd like not to have to spray my concrete yard (or at least, the gaps between the slabs) and my gravel drive with glyphosate...
18
18

One for the plumbers
There just has to be a better way.
9
9

Reluctant tap
I have one of those lift-and-twist type kitchen taps which is reluctant to do either (though lifting requires far more force than twisting from the hot position to the cold). Is there any way of...
8
8

Remember that "free" lawnmower?
Daughter number two has decided that she doesn't like it. Too heavy, too awkward to get in and out of her shed, uses a fuel that she has to go out and buy, doesn't pick up grass well enough etc, etc....
10
10

Long handle tree loppers
Just broke mine - still, they've done sterling service & didn't cost me anything. So ... recommendations for replacement. Anvil? Bypass? Ratchet? Can't say as I care about telescopic - I always used...
23
23