How not to fit a socket.

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

Mike Tomlinson

Clearly an anti-theft precaution. Anyone wanting to steal it would need two different screwdrivers.

Reply to
Scott

I did wonder if possibly it had been used for drug dealers to hide stuff in at some time while dealing and someone decided to make it a little more awkard to access.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I could not see this of course, but the comments reminded me of some things which I encountered in the Canary Islands back in the 80s. Two pin sockets with the earth lead dangling terminated by a little choc block. The plug was basically one where the wires are just poked into holes in screw in pins. No shroud and fingers of wire hang out around the edges. This was a bedside light and the lead was not long enough so somebody had soldered the ends of two cables together to make it longer and wrapped it in cheap pvc tape. the earth was left unconnected , no not even into the choc block.

Then there was the fridge socket, a kind of American looking one with earth as a strip on the side of the plug, but the socket it went into had obviously been broken at some time, and it was glued together with what looked like Evo Stik and the crack was opening up as you inserted the plug so the earth strip never made contact to anything. I do sometimes wonder how any British holiday makers survived. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A double socket secured - sort of - by four tightly-fitting woodscrews, one in the centre of each edge, their heads only just gripping the faceplate. Though curiously, the usual fixing screws are also in place. Better safe than sorry?

Reply to
Bert Coules

No backbox I bet. M3.5s just in there for show, probably glued in.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Back box probably still there but come loose off wall hence the four screws holding the faceplate to timber cladding.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You don't see those Crabtree sockets around much these days - beautiful design. You can switch them off with a foot - but not on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More like the back box fixing to the T&G has not worked. Very common with bodgers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , damduck- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk escribió:

A nice idea, but it's in a very public place.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I hope that is not an euphemism for a 12 inch penis.....

Reply to
ARW

Pure class. A brass scratched socket with red paint on it and 4 PZ2 screws.

I thought that the Aigburth Arms was closed?

Reply to
ARW

But not by Sun readers :-)

Reply to
Scott

That socket is about 40 years old - they changed the design round about then. Much to the chagrin of many architects who loved the old one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't cater for fantasy. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or use it as a rule :-)

Reply to
Scott

But the ordinary plate fixing screws are still in place? And are likely longer ones as they look to be chrome rather than antique bronze?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

Not quite that meffy :) The Ship and Mitre on Dale St.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The outside seating is definitely a good example of DIY.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

What is antique bronze? Is it something that looks like it needs a polish:-)?

Reply to
ARW