Slightly OT: CR2032

OK, I know I should know this, but old age continues to creep forward......
A Dell computer has a dead bios battery.
The manual says it's a Lithium CR2032. Is there any reason not to use one from one of the Poundland sets of 8 button cells as opposed to the ones for Dell on Amazon for ?2.99 + postage?
I have some memory from the distant past of having to use a rechargeable battery.
--
Bill

On 20/05/2017 23:54, Bill wrote:

It would be OT in uk.comp.homebuilt! I would think you would be OK, I imagine that you might loose some bios settings when you take the battery out. Google is a good source of info for your question.
--
Michael Chare

I did mine with the desktop computer switched on.......no loss
On 21/05/2017 09:05, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Your a braver man than me McDuff.

Taint gunna kill you, its only 4V.
On 21/05/2017 11:32, Rod Speed wrote:

There's 12(and -12), 5 and 3.3V in there, but it was more shorting out components than injury to self I was worried about, especially since these days most of them take quite a bit of prying to get out.

yes I stayed away from the mains PSU and made sure I didn't drop it........

Thanks to all for the reassurance.
I have a huge stock of Poundland CR2032's because they come in packs of 4 with 2 CR2016's and I've used lots of these 2 at a time while fault finding the Jeep's key fob. The packs' expiry dates range from March 2016 to December 2017 which is a bit worrying but the ones I've checked measure 3.34 volts.
And as the old battery was dead I'll have to set the time anyway, so I'll power down and drop the batteries with wild abandon.
--
Bill

On Sun, 21 May 2017 14:13:16 +0100, Bill wrote:

2 years ago I replace the CR2032 in my 8 yo rig - and then built a new one 8 months later! On the ground that the PC had lasted that time on the original cell I didn't use an undated one from 7dayshop but slashed the cash and got a couple from Morrisons (of all places), Duracell dated 2024. Won't be wasted as I've 3 distros of Linux to try out.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On Sunday, 21 May 2017 14:16:07 UTC+1, Bill wrote:

means almost nothing

good to go
Bill explained on 21/05/2017 :

Mine was down to 0.6v, the BIOS maintained by mains power. It refused to reboot, after the power was lost when they replaced the already smart meters :-)) I took me a good while to work out why it wouldn't boot up - because it was trying boot from its default of CD, then I spotted the time / date was years out and the penny dropped.

Although I thought I was slow and clumsy, it remembered the time that I set up before taking the power off.
The machine is 2007 vintage and the old battery reads 0.83 volts.
--
Bill

On Sun, 21 May 2017 14:13:16 +0100, Bill wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about those 'expiry dates'; that just means they only have 90% or more of their original capacity left (assuming they'd been properly stored somewhere where the ambient temperature had been maintained at a reasonably constant 20 deg C for the whole 9 or 10 years since they were shipped in from the factory).
--
Johnny B Good

Be a pretty crappy desktop if you could get anywhere near mains inside it.
--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

No need, nothing lethal is touchable.

Actually losing bios settings is often the first symptom of flat-ness. Luckily may do default to something sensible though you can find the fan speed adjuster is shot when its flat and it either runs like an express train or does not run hardly at all and then suddenly goes berserk or shuts the computer down due to overheating. A real pain in some Compaq/HP models. Brian
--
----- -

Nope, the first symptom is loosing time when its turned off.

Fuck all have any fan speed adjuster that is affected by the loss of bios settings.

Very few of them.

Michael Chare expressed precisely :

If there is access and you are careful, you can do the swap with the PC running.

The cheapest ones can be significantly worse than the better branded ones. Doesn't mean you need one from Dell tho.

Nope, that was an alternative to the CR2032 that was seen with some motherboards, soldered onto the motherboard.
On 21/05/2017 00:13, Rod Speed wrote:

It depends how distant. Some of the original IBM PC clones used a rechargeable battery for the CMOS memory and real-time clock.
SteveW