Subject Author Posted Replies

Key for old door lock
I have a number of doors in my early Victoria house with large door locks of a simple kind (about 6"x4.5") attached to the outside of the door, with a flange on the side of the door. I'm wondering...
29
29

Stacking A/V units - ideas needed
We've just redecorated the lounge and I need to come up with a new way to mount the A/V units (amp, freeview, freesat, blu-ray) and to house (and hide) the associated junk (wifi link, ethernet switch,...
8
8

Brick based democracy

Thermal expansion of shower waste pipe
I'm about to fit a new shower tray. The bathroom waste pipe, to the drain, is EN-1566 (PVC) but the trap takes EN-1455 (ABS) pipe; both about 40 mm. I gather that solvent welding PVC to ABS isn't...
8
8

Resurfacing driveway
Hi All, We have a tarmac drive which is looking a bit tired and has had a couple of trenches dug across it to lay some pipes and these have been concreted ove r... Today a guy knocked at the door...
23
23

Join between supporting wall and plasterboard.
Our staircase goes straight up the middle of the house (as opposed to, what I think is more usual, an outside wall). Consequently, there is a join between supporting walls downstairs, and the thin...
6
6

Lead acid Positive plates problem
Hello everyone, I am in the process of resurrecting a lot of lead acid Cells that I washed out, dried and sealed in the 1980's I shipped about 100 back to UK from th e Oil Company in the United Arab...
6
6

Power meter
On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be simplest measurement. I know you can get small kwh modules such as .... Though these are instantaneous ... need something that...
36
36

TRV acceptable in airing cupboard
Thanks - fingers crossed.
11
11

Lock problem
A couple of years ago, I fitted new anti-snap, anti-bump eurocylinders to the locks on our front and back doors, keyed alike so I didn't have to carry around two different keys. So far, so good; all...
7
7

Which TRV?
A bit too much choice! which would folk recommend & why? S= Screwedfix T= Toolsatan S 5.99 random 31811 S 5.49 random 60368 S 10.99 drayton 53581 RT212 15mm + lockshield S 9.99 drayton 25900 RT212...
5
5

Hedgetrimmer question (Li-ion battery job)
Another John was thinking very hard : I have no experience of them, but suspect they are only good for light duties. I also suspect the weight of the battery might make using them harder work than it...
7
7

DC power supply
Thinking of using one of these temp sensor/displays: Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? .......... I have a draw full of psu's ... laptop, router...
17
17

OT: Email on a Samsung S5
Decided it was time I arranged to access my emails via my phone. It's a PAYG, so will only do this when I have a Wi-Fi connection, which is fine for me. I have basically two email accounts. My BT one...
2
2

Chinese fuses
Let's try this again: