Yet more Ikea cr*p

Help me retain my sanity. Wifey has her eye on a bathroom corner cabinet from Ikea. So far, so good, as although the nearest shop is

100+ miles away, they do have a more local collection point.

On the million to one chance anyone actually has one, it is a SILVER?N White corner unit, Article no: 802.745.19, described as width 40cm and depth 32cm. Just been using their online chat to establish how they measure width and depth of a corner unit, so I asked what exactly those measurements represent. Oh, they are the width and depth. Yes, I can read, thank you. Measured where? She then tried to tell me 40cm each side, and 32cm across. Pythagorus would disagree. This went backwards and forwards until she told me I would have to go to one of their shops and measure, at which point I blew a fuse and said I'd go to B&Q.

FFS, how difficult can life be? I still don't know the answer.

Reply to
Graeme

Are you thinking it has a triangular shape so it goes into a corner? I'm wondering if it's rectangular and you just shove it across the corner, although the apparent proportions of width and depth as shown suggest not. There ought to be a plan view.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I agree, not very clear.

Try

click Download near the bottom (once link is established).

The missing dimensions are not there either, but the diagram on p.9 gives a pretty good idea of what's going on there.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Is it veneered chip that will turn to sog when it gets wet?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nothing to do with the cabinet, but I'm amazed that your usenet client, the various servers in between, and my usenet client managed to reproduce the a-ring character in SILVERÅN correctly.

Many clients seem to struggle with a pound sign, let alone a Swedish character.

Reply to
Caecilius

In message , Caecilius writes

Yes, I was quite surprised it came through. Top marks to Turnpike, at least at my end.

Reply to
Graeme

Yes, it is triangular. Well, triangular-ish.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , JoeJoe writes

Thanks for that. I had already found that and, as you say, no dimensions shown. The diagram numbered 6 at the top of page 12 shows a good outline of the general shape. I have not tried the geometry, but think they mean the sides which go in the 90 degree corner are 32cm, and

40cm must be the diagonal, or possibly from the centre of the front, back into the corner.

Problem is, we have 39.5cm between the wall and a toilet cistern, so if it somehow turns out that the sides against the wall are 40cm, I'm stuffed.

BTW, are Ikea the only company to enter the UK market then quote distance to nearest store in kilometres instead of miles?

Reply to
Graeme

My problem is measuring it, buying it, assembling it and fitting it. Wifey is responsible for filling it and keeping it dry :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Do you know anyone who lives near an IKEA and would be willing to enter it and measure one of the units for you?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

40cm width across the front. 28cm ish from the rear corner to the point where it doglegs - so it'll fit between wall and cistern. 15cm from dogleg to front 15cm from edge of front back to wall. If you see what I mean, standing on a wobbly plastic step while peering at a cheap measure doesn't help. Hope that helps, Tony. Also, I fitted decent magnetic catches to the doors....
Reply to
greyridersalso

In message , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Reply to
Graeme

I did not see this and did some calcs on a scrap of paper.

Cos 45 degs = .707, and 40 *.707 = 28.3, so agree the "28-ish".

I thought the length from dogleg to front must be 12, so as to get the total depth of 32. You need to allow for that dogleg section being at 45 degrees to the wall, but it should fit.

Reply to
GB

Measuring might be a quick job, but getting in and out without a map is a half day job

Reply to
Robert

That's why I put "would be *willing" to enter..."! I wonder if anyone actually enjoys going to an IKEA store.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I manipulated the picture to undo the perspective and get the corner edges at 90 degrees. I agree with the 28cm but that's right into the corner of the walls. The corner of the cabinet is truncated so the quoted depth from front to back will be less. The length projecting from the wall looks like 13.5cm, so the distance between the face and the corner of the walls would be 13.5 +

20 = 33.5cm which is a bit more than the quoted 32cm.

The clearance distance from the corner along the wall will be 28 + 13.5 x

0.707, i.e. about 38cm, leaving a 1.5cm gap to your cistern.

If the sides are not 13.5cm but 15cm as 'greyriders' says, the clearance distance will be 28 + 15 x .707 = 38.5cm, leaving a 1cm gap to your cistern.

Reply to
Dave W

Oh dear. I measured from the corner of the wall, the purpose being to prove if the unit will fit or not, hence "28cm ish from the rear corner to the point where it doglegs.." From the centre of the front to the truncated rear is pretty much 32cm. I'm done, enjoy. Tony

Reply to
greyridersalso

Yes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Sometimes worth checking if they have an item you can re-purpose that's cheaper than buying the raw materials yourself ... and always worth picking up a bag of their cinnamon buns for the freezer on the way out.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Andy Burns writes

Costco for cinnamon buns! :-)