Buying domestic wiring cable.

Where's the cheapest place to buy 300m of 10mm^2 flat twin and earth? I need some for an experiment, don't care if it's used, as long as I don't need too many joints. 6 x 50m lengths would be fine.
What are the chances of being able to re-sell it?
Even better, hire some for a couple of days.
TIA
--
Clive

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:07:03 +0100, Clive Arthur wrote:

It is £165 per 100 metres from TLC Direct.
So roughly £500 worth of cable.
You might be able to resell it although I would be very wary of buying used cable unless it was heavily discounted.
Never heard of anyone hiring out flat T&E electrical cable but again you would have to consider the resale value after you returned it.
Possibly a 50% hit, so £250 cost to you?
It would help if you stated what kind of test. If you could do your tests with the cable still on the original coil, that is connect the internal and external end of the coil between the 3 rolls, then you have a better chance of resale than if you plan to unwind it all and then rewind it onto the cable drum.
Cheers
Dave R

On 26/06/2017 16:24, David wrote:

That price is about what I've seen on ebay, so it's probably about the best, thanks. TLC direct is a good lead.
The test needs 300m in a straight line, effectively a single (or several paralleled) insulated conductor. I want as low a resistance (as high a copper area) as is readily achievable without breaking the bank, and I reckoned that 10mm^2 would probably be the best value, giving >20mm^2 with all three conductors joined. It's to do with ground current signalling, but it's all NDA stuff.
Less than 1A and 50V.
I had wondered about hiring the sort of cables which I imagine might be used for power distribution around, say, a festival, but so far that avenue isn't looking useful.
Cheers
--
Clive

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:58:41 +0100, Clive Arthur wrote:

TV/Film lighting firms would be your best bet.
www.ftvs.co.uk www.pkelighting.com
Can't obviously see a rental list on either site.
They'll have a range of cables from 16 A single phase to 125 A three phase with the appropiate "commando" connectors. Also what is known as .1 (point one) this is single core flexible cable not sure of its CSA or rating possibly 160 A? "Flexible" in so much as a single core stranded cable 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" dia can be. It's also heavy, comes in lengths of about 20m.
How low did you want to get that impedance again?
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Liquorice wrote:

".1" seems a damned good name if you want to make your product ungoogleable ...
On 26/06/2017 18:07, Andy Burns wrote:

Hey, try googling businesses in the town a few miles from here ... the town is called Sale.
SteveW
On 26/06/2017 17:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Generator hire firms do the same sort of thing - eg
http://www.powerhire.uk.com/category/cables/multi-core/
--
Robin

Last summer, I hired 100m of 6mm for a village fete- It came in 20m lengths - to make carrying it a possibility.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

How about 15mm or 22mm copper water pipe, using solder joints, run inside cheap 32mm or 40mm drain pipe for the insulation?
No idea if it would work out cheaper than cable, but thought I'd throw the idea out there.
--
(\_/)

You could check out hiring heavy duty extension cable from a hire shop or even film etc lighting places. Depending on the costs of suitable connectors to adapt it to do what you want.
--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *