Buying domestic wiring cable.

Where's the cheapest place to buy 300m of 10mm^2 flat twin and earth? I need some for an experiment, don't care if it's used, as long as I don't need too many joints. 6 x 50m lengths would be fine.

What are the chances of being able to re-sell it?

Even better, hire some for a couple of days.

TIA

Reply to
Clive Arthur

It is £165 per 100 metres from TLC Direct.

So roughly £500 worth of cable.

You might be able to resell it although I would be very wary of buying used cable unless it was heavily discounted.

Never heard of anyone hiring out flat T&E electrical cable but again you would have to consider the resale value after you returned it.

Possibly a 50% hit, so £250 cost to you?

It would help if you stated what kind of test. If you could do your tests with the cable still on the original coil, that is connect the internal and external end of the coil between the 3 rolls, then you have a better chance of resale than if you plan to unwind it all and then rewind it onto the cable drum.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

You could check out hiring heavy duty extension cable from a hire shop or even film etc lighting places. Depending on the costs of suitable connectors to adapt it to do what you want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That price is about what I've seen on ebay, so it's probably about the best, thanks. TLC direct is a good lead.

The test needs 300m in a straight line, effectively a single (or several paralleled) insulated conductor. I want as low a resistance (as high a copper area) as is readily achievable without breaking the bank, and I reckoned that 10mm^2 would probably be the best value, giving >20mm^2 with all three conductors joined. It's to do with ground current signalling, but it's all NDA stuff.

Less than 1A and 50V.

I had wondered about hiring the sort of cables which I imagine might be used for power distribution around, say, a festival, but so far that avenue isn't looking useful.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

TV/Film lighting firms would be your best bet.

Can't obviously see a rental list on either site.

They'll have a range of cables from 16 A single phase to 125 A three phase with the appropiate "commando" connectors. Also what is known as .1 (point one) this is single core flexible cable not sure of its CSA or rating possibly 160 A? "Flexible" in so much as a single core stranded cable 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" dia can be. It's also heavy, comes in lengths of about 20m.

How low did you want to get that impedance again?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

".1" seems a damned good name if you want to make your product ungoogleable ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Last summer, I hired 100m of 6mm for a village fete- It came in 20m lengths

- to make carrying it a possibility.

Reply to
charles

Generator hire firms do the same sort of thing - eg

Robin

Hey, try googling businesses in the town a few miles from here ... the town is called Sale.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

En el artículo , Clive Arthur escribió:

How about 15mm or 22mm copper water pipe, using solder joints, run inside cheap 32mm or 40mm drain pipe for the insulation?

No idea if it would work out cheaper than cable, but thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson