Women and DIY

That invisible cable is quite expensive these days.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'm smiling at this, and then suddenly realise that sitting in front of me is the control board from my parents' hob extractor which was damaged when a carpender put a screw through a pipe and flooded their kitchen, 3 years ago, causing it to arc across, and one or two of the components are no longer recognisable.

I did mend the hob igniter which was similarly wrecked in the incident. (Fortunately the EHT transformer was potted and survived being drowned, even though the control board needed some major restoration work.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Please clarify. Is his wife angry, or is he something she has to bear?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That's a shit idea.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Should fit you now, though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've had my M-I-L's iron for repair some years. I think she's forgotten about it.

Reply to
Huge

In my defence, I should add that I am still waiting for the knitted toy lion I was promised in 1974.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well quite. Reminds me of a cartoon strip:

Little boy: I've got one of these

Little girl: Well I've got one of these. And with one of these I can get one of those whenever I want to.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah: so you've seen the photos, then :(

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Until you met yourself!

But Dennis, they had to stack the blocks somewhere for storage before use - and you don't need foundations or mortar for that surely? Someone extracting the urine from you when they showed you that lot I bet!

Reply to
Unbeliever

After they've belted their thumbs and cut their hands a few times - along with spending more time to rectify their initial c*ck-ups than doing the original work and finally RTFM *BEFORE* starting the job.

I bet though, that those you think lack the "common sense" for DiY can do many things with their hands that you cannot [1] - and would think the same of you

[1] Ignoring any sexual references to that statement that ARW might make.
Reply to
Unbeliever

Reminds me of this:

The Death of a Beloved Old Friend.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense.

Mr Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but could not inform the parents when that student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge financial settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason;

He is survived by two stepbrothers - My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on; if not, join the majority and do nothing!

Reply to
Unbeliever

Shouldn't you be out worrying handymen?

Reply to
dennis

Have you not got a speed limit to go and obey?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why - *SOME* are better than so-called tradesmen (of which you think you are)? BTW, what is *your* trade - apart from bullshit spreading that is?

Reply to
Unbeliever

His trade is collecting his early retirement pension.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ROTFL - but don't knock it ARW.

I sold up and took 'early retirement' (supposedly) at 55 (some 15 years ago) - and have done more bloody work since - keeping SWMBO (and half the family) sweet, along with being 'attacked, by several young grandkids every time they visit (often).

I wouldn't change that for that for a multi-million pound lottery win - and even now, I'm suffering from the effects of a visit from a couple of the little bombshells earlier today - they though jumping on their gramps off the garden bench and using him as a trampoline was great fun.

Reply to
Unbeliever

Ah, but you had a choice, dense didn't

I took on a "secretary" [1] a couple of weeks ago - best move I've made for a long time - I should have the freedom and time to do other things a lot more, without actually retiring

[1] - she has an exceptional knowledge of boilers and can already more or less run the company
Reply to
geoff

IAWTP, I quit at 57 but what a boon. Y'know what I really miss? (not) the drive into work. Actually, with the company pension and state pension, we've never been so well off. Should've arranged it earlier.

Reply to
brass monkey

Yebut, does she motor?

Reply to