wiring electric cooker

Following up to The Reid

now I start looking more closely I see there are no free fuses on the fusebox, 2 lighting rings, house ring, kitchen ring, shower and an emergency light and a freezer on the other, which could be moved into the kitchen ring I suppose. I think I may just decide its a job for an "expert", new unit with tripping fuses and a couple of extra circuits + the cooker point, all done in one job while I read usenet posts :-)

Reply to
The Reid

That has always been the case with lefties. They have realised that it takes very little to out-think a Labour MP. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Might as well have a few extra double sockets put in at the same time. I had some work done last year - 4 or 5 new doubles in the kitchen, a couple of wall-mounted lights, new light+shaver socket in the bathroom, replaced a couple of damaged sockets. The consumer unit had re-wireable fuses, and I had those swapped out for the little re-settable ones - same box, just replaced the old fuses with the modern ones.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Following up to S Viemeister

that's the sort of thing I would do, er, did, er, myself in the future. IYSWIM. But a new consumer unit, well, let the man do it.

got to be better.

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

the government, "lefties"!!!!

Reply to
The Reid

Sounds OK. You won't find a 32A switch easily so use a 45A switch. Also, you want it on the non-RCD side, if you have an RCD split load consumer unit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm trying to think of the name of a clever Tory MP. Or any Tory MP, come to that. Or any clever MP...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's actually not that difficult provided you label all the cables when you remove the old one. Masking tape and a waterproof felt pen are ideal.

'Pulling' the main fuse just needs rubber gloves and wellies. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Following up to Dave Plowman (News)

they just said "Cameron has been elected by a 2 to 1 margin", I didnt realise the Tories still had that many MPs :-)

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Dave Plowman (News)

especially as its my own wiring.

From when we did the original rewiring, I seem to remember disconnecting a rather thick wire rather carefully!

Reply to
The Reid

Pass

Boris Johnson - don't quite see him mastering Part P

Mine. Vince Cable. Seriously clever.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Very good!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If you are replacing the consumer unit, for an above-average size house with own garage,do get a split-load type with 10-12 spaces, two of these will be Master trips including a RCD, the others are power and lighting rings (each probably x2 on separate floors/zones), spurs (radials) for:- shower (protected) , cooker, and immersion heater. The subsidiary, modular, resettable trips come in 3 current load types. You can never have enough double-gang switched outlets, so add them if you can afford the budget. Warning! You will need some battery-operated emergency lighting and tools while changing over a consumer unit - as the main supply fuse's security seal has to be compromised, fuse dissed (and reconnected and re-sealed later). Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:38:37 GMT someone who may be "Jim Gregory" wrote this:-

An interesting concept. When did such circuits start to be used in houses?

Reply to
David Hansen

the same approach can be adopted with 1.5mm2 for lighting ceiling roses and drops to switches, dimmers and wall brackets. The benefit is lower voltage drops at the nodes when all rooms are lit. Jim IMO the extra cable costs compared to a radial daisy-chain are almost negligible.

Reply to
Jim Gregory

I did my first one in 1974. Got it from that DIY guide that was popular then. Seemed standard then.

Reply to
EricP

Ther have to be clever to get elected and thus get access to that highly suspect pension scheme - either that or just plain lucky and I sadly for the state of the country I suspect the latter applies in a lot of cases

Reply to
Matt

Not really; voltage drop should be within spec regardless of the circuit type, when fully loaded, if correctly designed. Domestic lighting circuits are limited to 6A anyway (because of the possibility that SES or SBC lampholders may be used) which is well within the rating of

1.5mm2, even when derating is applied.

Also, there is no diversity allowed on a lighting circuit, with each point required to be rated at 100W or actual load if greater. The characteristics which make a ring circuit useful for sockets are (1) the use of a cable rated at 20A on a 30A circuit (2) considerable diversity in that any number of sockets may be used - 20 or 30 x 13A does not require a 390A circuit.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You might want to go back and see if the guide's authors made any other errors which you unwittingly followed :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought it was party members who could vote. They must have three.

Reply to
<me9