Cooker installation : cable

I need to install an electric cooker (standard size, double oven, 4 solid hotplates) for mother-in-law at the weekend. I don't have access to any ratings for the cooker, but need to buy the cable in advance to wire from the cooker to the terminal plate on the wall. The cable should only be a couple of meters max. Is 6mm T&E likley to be the stuff I'll need for this?

Reply to
MarkM

According to this table :-

6mm T&E *should* be OK - but I'd prefer to use 10mm since you don't know the rating (which can be about 45Amp).

HTH

Reply to
Paul King

Well, if you're not sure of the rating, go for the larger size - 10mm. Always the safe option.

But I'd also make sure the house wiring to the cooker is suitable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the cable from the consumer unit to the isolator and wall plate are 6mm, there will be no point in running 10mm from the wall plate to the cooker. Do you know the rating of the fuse/breaker in the consumer unit? If it's

30/32 amp then 6mm will probably be fine.

When you get there check the rating/recommendation for the cooker and check if is suitable for the existing cable from the consumer unit, and the fuse rating.

Reply to
Doctor D

Take a bit of both. Then use the 10mm if it fits in the terminals and 6mm if it doesn't. If you end up with the 6mm, check that the MCB is 32A.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle