Building regulations re ceiling height

In my flat, there is a short (5ft long) corridor leading from one room to another. The ceiling height is only as high as the top of the door frame doors (80.5" or 204.5cm). I think the conversion job was done about ten or 12 years ago. Is that ceiling height legal? Will it pose any problems when I sell the place?

It would be possible to raise it by 6" but it won't be easy.

Thanks

BJ

Reply to
Brad Jeavons

PS.. Read "doorframe doors" as "door frames" (sorry!)

BJ

Reply to
Brad Jeavons

The rules on ceiling heights (except over staircases) were scrapped years ago, and even then they only applied to habitable rooms IIRC. The reason for the requirements was nothing to do with knocking your head on the ceiling, rather to ensure that the fumes put out by gas lights were clear of your nose!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

busy converting my cellar and was digging out to 2m head room, BCO said I didn't need to (and couldn't anyway because it would undermine the foundations) turns out there are no regulations for ceiling height, except for stair cases, as long as you can walk around without banging your hear he was happy...

1.7m will be the lowest point in my cellar

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

and landings actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why is that? Why doesn't it matter if we crack our heads on the bedroom ceiling, but it does if we do it on the stairs?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Because in one, you git dizzy and fall on the bed, which depending on who is in it at the time may be fun. With the other you fall down the stairs and break your neck, which irrespective of who is in the hall at the time is probably not fun ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm