Installing a ceiling fan on a cathedral ceiling.

Hi.. The den in my house has a 12" cathedral ceiling. I would like to install a ceiling fan and was wondering if anyone has done this, and if so how did you mount it?

My first idea was to come down one side of the ceiling a few inches, cut a hole, use one of those spiked braces between 2 joist, and hang the fan from that. This seems easy enough, although it might look nicer if the fan was coming straight down from the very center of the ceiling.

Today someone told me that a mounting kit exists, that looks like a box with a slanted top, that fits flush into the top of the ceiling (I imagine they have different sizes for different angled ceilings). Apparently, this gets screwed into the joist (on each side), and is big enough to hold the electrical box to which the fan attaches. I haven't, however, been able to find a mounting kit like this online. On monday I'll try a few local supply stores.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this? Has anyone seen a mounting kit like I described? I'd apprieciate any feedback before I start this job..

Thanks! Ryan

Reply to
rcarrington

[...]

First, let me apologize if you received this post 2 or even 3 times. I'm trying out google's new groups (beta) and very weird things are happening. Anyhow, i hit 'delete' on the other posts so hopefully you won't get them.

[...]

On 20 Nov 2004 21:09:55 -0800 " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" used 26 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Do you think you'll get a faster response if you post the same message every 7 minutes?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Looks like the new google groups needs some works... somehow it showed two posts, then I deleted them and re-posted. I guess the delete feature doesn't work too well. :( sorry again.

Reply to
rcarrington

Reply to
Roy Mottola

Here is a manufacturer of the fan box ceiling mount.

Ron

Reply to
Roy Mottola

Is there a ridge board? If there is, is it a 1x or a 2x? Is the ceiling finished or open?

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

The exact materials for the job are impossible to guess. Call and ask for some estimates, question them on how they would do it. Then decide. Make sure that the electrical box is rated for an fan. AND attached to the structure

Reply to
SQLit

There is a ceiling fan on the cath ceiling in my living room. It was installed when the house was built, so if your room is finished this may be more work than other solutions,

the fan is mounted to a flat platform that sits about 12 inches lower than the peak of the ceiling line.

You'd have to build up a box and attach it to the roof joists, then, drywall the box but it looks pretty nice. on the 2 sides that are parellel to the cath ceiling the sides of the box are about 3 to 4 inches in height. in all I'd guess the platform is 22 - 24 inches in each dirrection.

Dave

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

Most communities have building codes requiring fan blades to be at least 6'

8" above the floor. Very difficult to due with a 12" ceiling. You might want to apply for a variance. At least you don't need a ladder. What size fan...I'm trying to picture this ;-)
Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

On 11/22/2004 8:09 AM US(ET), Joe Fabeitz took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

You say 'at least 6' 8" above the floor'. I believe that 12' is 'more' than 'at least 6' 8" '.

Reply to
willshak

hahahaha.. the fan is 52' ??

Reply to
rcarrington

I have cathedral ceiling in great room and the fan was already installed when I bought the house. I don't know the technical terms but this is what it looks like ...

There is a round cover up next to the ceiling, over a ball that moves around. .. a long rod is attached to the ball and hangs down. I believe you have to buy these parts separately. The actual fan parts attach to the rod.

I have another similar setup in the kitchen. On this one there is an electrical cord that runs from a wall socket mounted high on the wall, near the ceiling, over to the cover. It is entwined with a brass chain to help hide it

- and runs over to inside the cover on the ceiling. The rest is the same - the ball that moves around with a rod coming out and running down to meet the fan. I suspect the former owner may have had this one installed after the house was built.

Reply to
Dorot29701

All those parts usually come with the new fan. The only thing you might have to buy is the proper size downrod. With the ball in the socket at the ceiling, after shutting the power at the main box, disconnect the wires from the fan to the ceiling. Usually 3, sometimes 4 (ground wire) wires. Lift the ball out of the socket and lower the fan. Then follow the instructions on the new fan, usually the same or close to the one you took down.

Reply to
JerryL

Thanks for all the replies..

I purchased a mounting cover block from arlington industries, and a shallow saf-t-pan (box from westinghouse) to mount the fan on (rated up to 70 lbs). I'm a little concerned that the box only attaches to the ridge (2x) with two 1" wood screws (screwed straight up into the ridge), but some friends of mine (who have more construction knowledge than I) tell me that should be fine.

Ryan

Reply to
rcarrington