Removing a Hampton Bay ceiling fan

Afternoon.

Sadly, I am having a problem removing a Hampton Bay ceiling fan. Believe it or not, I can't determine how to take the "main" piece down from the ceiling. I've removed as many pieces as I can see, and still the motor remains attached. I do see 4 screws attached to the portion that turns, but I can't see how that will allow the entire structure to be removed.

I looked online for a Hampton Bay manual with no luck. There are no screws on the outer portion of the fan that would, seemingly, connect it to the ceiling/mounting piece.

Any ideas? I know this is awful but I could use any help.

Thanks ...

Reply to
Shaggy

Have you removed the canopy from the ceiling to expose the ceiling box? Fans are mounted with hooks or swivel brackets.

Lift the fan out of the bracket.

(follow safety)

-- Oren

Oren

If it's like mine, there is a trim ring right at the ceiling that you rotate a bit (CCW) and then slide down. This exposes 4 screws that mount the metal canopy to the fan mounting bracket. Take out the four screws and slide the canopy down. Now you will see the ball end of the fan down rod and the electrical connections. Shut off the power at the breaker (should have said this first!), disconnect the wires, and lift the fan up and slide the ball end out the side. You're done.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

bit (CCW) and then slide down. This exposes 4 screws that mount the metal canopy to the fan mounting bracket.

Thanks so much for this. I was stumped, and you were exactly right! Cheers, Ander

Reply to
Ander

replying to Shaggy, Lisa Wallace wrote: i needed leverage to remove the flush mount canopy on a Hampton Bay Hawkins ceiling fan. I attached 2 small C clamps on the lip on opposite sides of the canopy (not centered since the motor is still hanging in the way). Then I ran a bar from a long bar clamp through the small clamps. I was able to hold each end of the bar and put more strength into the counter clockwise turn to loosen the canopy from its 4 mounting studs.

Reply to
Lisa Wallace

What do you do if the trim ring won't turn enough to have it drop down

Reply to
kn

Does it rotate back and forth at all? As I recall they just rotate maybe 1/4 to 1/2" enough to move to the slotted section so it will pull off. Try pulling on it while rocking it back and forth.

Reply to
trader_4

I hope the OP removed the locking screw. On mine, two of the three holes are slotted but the third screw is fully captured and has to be removed before the trim will turn.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Harbor Breeze flush mount canopy you mention does not have screws or trim ring. You need to give the canopy a good CLOCKWISE twist abut 2 inches. This will release the hidden spring clips holding the canopy. Pull down.

Reply to
FE