Wireless switches for lights - recommendations?

We want to install some lighting in a summer house and it seems to us that some sort of remote wireless switching would make sense as the switches are going to be a *long* way from the lights and it will be difficult to hide the wires.

There is a 'proper' mains supply already installed with a sub-CU with

6A breaker for the lighting. (With an RCD main switch). The lights we want to control will probably mostly be 12 volt LEDs with a transformer to supply them.

I did a quick Google Shopping look for 'wireless light switch' and there seem to be a bewildering variety of them, how do I choose?

Are there standards such that different makes will interwork or is that a faint hope? I'm quite happy to D-I-Y from quite low level stuff if that makes sense from the price/function point of view. I buy and build quite a lot of electronics stuff from Rapid Recall, CPC, etc.

One set of lights will (probably) be operated by a fixed 'switch' on the wall in the summer house but others might want more distant (50 to

100 metres maybe) operation with a plip type remote.

Any/all recommendations and ideas would be very welcome.

Reply to
Chris Green

My cheap [4 for £15] 13A plugin ones from Aldidl work but need retraining after a powercut. And a neighbours system turns the lights on

2 or 3 times a year. Range over 10 metres through a window to an aluminium greenhouse. They won't work if two receivers are close together in a double socket, I don't know why.
Reply to
Mike

I bought one years ago and it?s worked faultlessly ever since. It appears to be a discontinued brand however so that?s not hugely helpful to you I know. (?Home Easy?).

If I were buying again I?d go for one with kinetic switches (no batteries needed) instead although I?ve never had to replace mine in the last 8 or so years.

Something like this.

Wireless Lights Switch Kit,No Battery No Wires No Wi-Fi Required,150feet Operating Range,Easy to Install,Remote Control Lights Ceiling Fans House Lighting Lamps,Replace Wall Switch Can Mount Anywhere

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I doubt most remotes would work over that distance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Quinetic ones are very good and can get 1 2 or 3 switches in a standard wall plate. Sold by TLC and possibly others. I tested one from the bottom of my garden to the road which is about 180 feet. They don't lose sync during power cuts. Fairly easy to open up and modify say for momentary action such as turning on the heating.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Our garage door opener remotes do, pretty reliably, and they presumably use the same 433MHz sort of technology. I was just hoping/expecting light switch remotes to be similar. This is outdoors, line of sight, no obstructions.

Reply to
Chris Green

Got some of these at work. Love them.

Dunno about the distances you mention though.

Reply to
R D S

"Long lifetime:About 3 years "

What happens after 3 years?