Windpower

Yes, I only know of one LPG station in this city, maybe there are others that I haven't noticed ... seems there a 3 (or 4 counting one on the motorway)

Reply to
Andy Burns

The problem with that is having plant and employees lying idle when there isn't any wind.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

And I bet none are at a supermarket, selling for 10% off the BP-franchise price.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Yes, but the devil is in the detail. How much it costs to have a hydrogen production operation lying idle. How much it costs to generate wind electricity. How much it costs to integrate wind energy into the grid.

I don't know the economic answers. It just seems that, theoretically, hydrogen production is a potential answer to the obvious problem of wind variability.

It is even possible that hydrogen production could be coupled with hydrogen power generation to balance wind variability, with only the surplus hydrogen going to power cars.

I don't know the answers but it is an interesting problem.

I'm also very dubious of the suitability of hydrogen as a fuel for cars due to the problems TNP mention earlier, i.e. volume, leaks and maybe explosion risk. .

Reply to
Pancho

Uranium is pretty good., Comes already charged up.

Of course the obvious answer is 'I wouldn't'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is the ontrinsic problem of intermittent reneables., The high peak to mean ratio is inefficient in terms of capital resources, Build for the peaks, get returns from te mean#

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But the cheapest solution to that problem is to stop paying subsidies on museum tgarde technology and build nukes instead

No, its a very boringt propblerm if te quality of 'if we only had a dead rabbit and potatoes for diunner, what would we use to flavour it' sort

We have better than that. The question is academic.

Only the EU is insisting on 'renewables' We are leaving the EU. There is no earthly reason why we would therefore schackle ourselves to expensive mediaeval technology when we will have control of our own nuclear authority.

Exactly. Far better to make synthetic diesel. With nukes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unlikely to end up cheap though, the wind farms already have their subsidy, no doubt the hydrogen farms will lobby for a subsidy on top ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, we seem a bit short of nuclear power stations at the moment. To provide all that constant cheap electricity everyone wants. Remember when it was going to be too cheap to bother metering?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More like 30%.

35% for GDI.

60% is perfectly possible. I know of work that has produced higher efficiencies than that ... the limiting factor is cost as that vehicle cost over £2.5m The work colleague who was driving it for a few weeks was scared of the cost.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You don't store electrical energy by flooding valleys, you store energy.

And if anyone thinks that batteries will solve our problems, dream on. They are nearly as good as they will ever get.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Haven't you come across a flow battery? ;)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Very true, but you use electrical energy to fill the valley and when it is allowed out electrical energy is created.

Reply to
charles

Only if you pass the water through a generator. If you just open the sluices you get nothing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You xould drive all sorts of machines if you wanted to. There is a waterwheel driven blast furnace near us. Not in use, obviously.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

What a stupid statement, if its more efficient at low power then you make it bigger and it will be just as efficient.

Of course you can charge a betteryin minutes if you want to and make hydrogen redundant.

You use a liquid to store the energy add to fill up you suck the used fluid out of one tank and put the fresh fluid in the other reusing the stuff you sucked out at the filling station.

No need for standard sizes just standard connectors and control.

liquid battery technology is a better investment for research than hydrogen fule cells both for the grid and vehicles.

Reply to
dennis

But nowhere as good as superheating steam using nukes and then breaking into hydrogen and oxygen. Most of the energy comes from the cooling of the reactor. The rest from electricity.

The french wouldn't need to shut their reactors down when its hot if they were designed that way.

Reply to
dennis

All of ours do LPG and the entire taxi fleet is LPG powered.

Reply to
Swer

Not when you still have to compress it and move it to where you plan to use it.

If it does ever make sense to use hydrogen as a transport fuel, and that?s very unlikely, it makes a lot more sense to use nukes to generate it directly and not via electrolysis.

And even that only makes sense because it is likely to be much less polluting that making say methanol using nukes.

But again, not economically viable instead of nukes.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

Refineries could be eliminated from the vehicle fuel cycle. Engines have most of what they need to produce their own fuel from light sweet crude as they run. There are also IC engines that can run on LSC, so starting on it doesn't seem undoable. Maybe in future cars will drop the leftover tar into potholes as they go :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr