Windows 7 not genuine? [a bit OT for uk.d-i-y]

My Dell laptop, which came new with Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) pre-loaded just under 2 years ago, has suddenly - as of today - started displaying a message in the bottom RH corner of the screen saying "Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

It's got the official MS sticker on the bottom to prove otherwise!

Anyone any idea what might have caused this, and what - if anything - I need to do about it?

TIA.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Have you altered the hardware at all?

Try the M$ Genuine Diagnostics Tool at:

Lobster

Run Linux

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

In message , Roger Mills writes

I had a similar message that Windows security essentials reported that windows might not be genuine and to go online to validate it

must be an update causing it

Reply to
geoff

read about this some time ago, have a read thro the MS forums

Reply to
Syd

Syd

No.

First off, it wouldn't let me save it to the desktop, saying that I didn't have write access! So I saved it on my data disk, and ran it - and not only did the message go away, but it now allows me to save to the desktop again.

God only knows why the problem arose in the first place.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There is obviously a group of morons using Newsgroups who are unable to give helpful guidance about Windows and are "triggered" by such questions to give the "use Linux" response.

Has using Linux programmed this behaviour?

Incidentally I have nothing against Linux, just a negative reaction to these evangelistic users.

km

Reply to
km

Have you ever been where a group of Linux enthusiasts gather? If so, you'd know the answer. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of the most oft-quoted things I ever said in a lecture was initially published within minutes of me saying it: "There are some very strange people in the Linux newsgroups".

And yes, I get fed up with this knee-jerk "Install Linux" reaction too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It is a modern update of the archetypical yokel asked for directions - "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here".

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Alternatively (and just as inane), "Google is your friend!"

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Yeah, Windows users.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed, not only that it just damages the reputation of using Linux on the desktop...

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Bringing the subject somewhat back on topic, an OS is a tool, and one chooses the correct tool for the job. If Windows does what you want, use it. Same goes for Linux. Or DOS, for that matter.

Those who engage in OS advocacy wars should be restricted to an XT with

360k floppies running MS-DOS 2.11.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's a bit luxurious. You cen get an XT up to 640k onboard.

How about a 5150 original PC with 180k floppies?

Reply to
Bob Eager

180K floppies? Luxury... we used to *dream* of floppies when I were a lad...
Reply to
Lobster

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was a very good OS, for other people a religion. Did you know that back in the mid

1990s at dead of night MS would send trucks to all the CompUSA warehouses to pick all the Windows 95 returns. You didn't? Just shows what a good job they did of keeping it secret!
Reply to
Tony Bryer

En el artículo , Tony Bryer escribió:

I remember a colleague showing us OS/2 running on his IBM PS/2 machine. He was very proud of the fact that it had a whole 4MB - yes, megabytes - of RAM while the rest of us plebs had to make do with 1MB.

IBM's big mistake with OS/2 was crippling it so it would run on a 286.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well, for the first four years, until version 2.0.

Reply to
Bob Eager