Windows 7 not genuine? [a bit OT for uk.d-i-y]

Yeah, I had a similar experience. But I was laughing at the OS/2 proponent because (a) my Mac had 8MB of RAM and unlike his OS/2 machine I could print to the network printers.

IBMs big mistake was thinking that Microsoft didn't have the marketing clout to sink OS/2 in the first year.

Reply to
Steve Firth

As you've made this a pissing competition again, my big mistake was assuming I could use an IPhone for longer than an hour in cold weather. Fortunately I had a proper phone with me as well

Reply to
stuart noble

(My background - I worked for 25 years at IBM; 16 in the IBM PC Co pretty much from its start up to the Lenovo selloff, and most of those as a PC Technical Product Manager. I spent several months in the Boca Raton labs, where OS/2 was developed, co-authoring the "Red Book" ready for the launch).

IMHO IBM's big mistake was linking OS/2 with PS/2, which was announced the same day. Salesman were always driven by hardware numbers and they saw OS/2 as a tool to drive PS/2 sales. But customers didn't really want to switch OS's, or to Micro Channel - they certainly didn't want both at the same time. But the Sales position (in spite of us techies arguing otherwise) was that one really needed the other.

MS were pretty neutral for the first year or so of OS/2's life.

Reply to
Reentrant

Actually, they were neutral until about 1990 - when they launched Windows as the system to use for low end machines - and even then they were pushing OS/2 for higher end machines (I went to the London launch).

They were surprised how well it went, and that's when they started pulling back from OS/2.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's an interesting point - which battery technologies still work in the cold.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The initial PS/2 range had:

Model 50 - 286 Model 60 - 286 Model 70 - 386 Model P70 - 386 Model 80 - 386

Then: Model 55 - 386 Model 90 - 486 Model 95 - 486

And eventually: Model 25 - 8086 Model 30 - 8086

There were a few other odd ones.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They all do, just not as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reminds me (and to get vaguely back to the main remit of the NG) that I still have a copy of OS/2 on floppies up in the bedroom/office/scrap heap of computing dreams.

I always intended make a cabinet for it with the traditional "In Case of Emergency Break Glass" sign on the front, but never got round to it.

Who knows, one day I might try and load it onto some really, really old kit.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

And which screens.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The problem I normally run into is that a tool might do what I want - but it's invariably bundled with 97 other things that I don't want, too.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It's better with an animation.

Lieutenant Scott

I still wish I'd kept mine; I offloaded it when I moved overseas. I think it had an unexpanded motherboard - i.e. 64K of memory - but I did have a couple of memory expansion cards for it. I did also have the luxury of floppy drives... I've actually never seen or heard of a 5150 that made use of the tape port, but I presume someone was that insane!

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

In message , Man at B&Q writes

While I sometimes do tell someone to 'do a Google', I am always polite enough also to suggest the actual words to Google on - ie the exact words which I have taken the trouble myself to Google on, and know will bring up the required information.

Reply to
Ian Jackson