uk.d-i-y FAQ

I note that there are many good FAQs about individual things to do with d-i-y about, power tools, cement and the like.

I wondered if anyone would be willing to write a general uk.d-i-y FAQ, and post it say weekly.

A simple list of the URLs of the existing FAQs, would IMO be all that is required.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

What, like , you mean? Phil hasn't sent it out for a bit, AFAICS though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

| Dave Fawthrop wrote: | | > I wondered if anyone would be willing to write a general uk.d-i-y FAQ, and | > post it say weekly. | | What, like | , | you mean? Phil hasn't sent it out for a bit, AFAICS though.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Why? If it's posted weekly the latest copy should always be on the servers, and there's no need to clutter up archives with a large post that doesn't change much from year to year.

Reply to
Rob Morley

| In article , | snipped-for-privacy@hyphenologist.co.uk.invalid says... | > On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:02:55 GMT, Lobster | > wrote: | > | > | Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > | | > | > I wondered if anyone would be willing to write a general uk.d-i-y FAQ, and | > | > post it say weekly. | > | | > | What, like | > | , | > | you mean? Phil hasn't sent it out for a bit, AFAICS though. | > | > >>> Phil Addison Aug 22, 11:42 pm What it needs is posting regularly, say weekly. | > | > I note the attempt to make it X-No-Archive which for a FAQ is insane. | > | Why? If it's posted weekly the latest copy should always be on the | servers, and there's no need to clutter up archives with a large post | that doesn't change much from year to year.

The post pointed to is quite small, only 50 lines or so, Most FAQs are

*huge*, and still get posted regularly. See the Boot FAQ and Real Ale FAQs on uk.answers which are posted monthly.

uk.* FAQs really should be posted to both the relevant newsgroup and uk.answers, but that requires a little organisation.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Seems there has been a hic-cup with the FAQ posts - thanks for drawing it to my attention.

Good point; uk.answers now added to the groups list.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

| On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:18:22 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Fawthrop | wrote: | | > | > On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:02:55 GMT, Lobster

Nope it is moderated ng,

you will have to contact Charles Lindsey I would not bother about news.answers in this case

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

,

Thanks - thought it might be, but their FAQ isn't on the server ;-)

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

| Thanks - thought it might be, but their FAQ isn't on the server ;-)

It is on news.individual.net

Charter of uk.answers (Moderated) uk.answers is a group for the cross-posting of FAQs and other regular postings made to the uk.* newsgroups, thus providing a convenient repository which is easily searched for information relevant to any uk.* newsgroup. uk.answers forms part of the global news.answers system (which includes

*.answers groups for many hierarchies). All articles in uk.answers will normally be crossposted to news.answers. However, it is required that postings to uk.answers normally be NOT crossposted from any further *.answers groups; this is to ensure that uk.answers is small enough that downloading the whole group will not be burdensome to servers of modest size.

The news.answers group, and all the other *.answers groups are moderated by unusual means, as described in the "Introduction to the *.answers newsgroups"

and, in more detail, in the "*.answers submission guidelines" . Articles in all the *.answers newsgroup are required to adhere to certain formatting requirements, including some extra "auxiliary headers" within the body of the article specifying, for example, an Archive-name and a Posting-Frequency. Once the format of an article has been approved by the news.answers moderators (this can be a lengthy process), permission is given for the author to post the article himself. Note that articles posted to the *.answers groups without the permission of the moderators, or which do not adhere to the agreed format, will be detected and are liable to cancellation.

Two additional services are provided by the moderators of news.answers. One is an optional service for having your article reposted automatically at the prescribed intervals (with proper Supersedes and Expires headers). The other is an automatic archival service which is replicated on many servers worldwide. The most convenient place to pick up the archives is at .

The name in the auxiliary Archive-name header of all articles posted to uk.answers will begin with "UK/".

Moderation Info The moderator of uk.answers will be Charles Lindsey and the moderation submission address will be

Articles submitted directly to the moderators of news.answers will normally be forwarded to the UK moderator for attention. The moderators of news.answers have agreed to this arrangement. The UK moderator is really a front-end for the news.answers moderators. He will normally vet the proposed format of the articles, agree an Archive-name with the author, and then submit the article to the news.answers moderators for final approval. The news.answers moderators will then inform the author about arrangements for regular posting in accordance with their standard procedures.

It is not the function of the UK moderator to determine what articles should and should not be approved for uk.answers. The sole criteria are that they meet the requirements for news.answers (namely they must be regular informational postings), that they are formatted correctly, and that they satisfy the additional cross-posting rules for uk.answers. In the event of warfare breaking out between the authors of rival FAQs, he may use his good offices to restore the peace, and may seek advice from the UK Usenet Committee as required.

Newsgroups line uk.answers Repository for periodic UK specific USENET articles. (Moderated)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop