The effect of uk.d-i-y posters

After the recent heavy slagging off that DSG received here, perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised to read this:

"Dixons Stores Group (DSG) is closing more than 100 High Street stores after poor trading.

In an update released before the London stock market opened this morning the retail chain revealed slightly improved group trading, but said Dixons had performed particularly badly. As a result the chain will shut

106 shops within the next three months. Some staff will be found jobs elsewhere in the group. DSG runs Currys, Dixons, PC World and the Link. It also runs five brands in the Nordic region, 23 PC City stores in France, Italy and Spain and stores in Hungary and the Czech Republic."

More at

Mind, I can't see why you need more than a few square feet of kiosk and/or a web site to sell extended warranties - and that seems to be where they used to make their profit.

What an amazing effect for just one newsgroup!

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

The stores are unprofitable High St shops. they are to concentrate on the web and sheds.

Reply to
IMM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:56:02 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM" strung together this:

Fibbledy wobbledy wip wop Maxie.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Lurch writes

I think you are mixing up Eliza with his (for some reason ) name for me

Reply to
geoff

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:20:28 +0100, in uk.d-i-y geoff strung together this:

What, Maxie? I always wondered WTF that was all about but couldn't be arsed to ask because it all seemed too complicated.

Reply to
Lurch

Mr Pole,

I am IMM, not Maxie. Have you been down the ale house?

Reply to
IMM

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:26:42 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM" strung together this:

Fuckwit, when did I say you were Maxie? Clean your fat flabby ears out.

Reply to
Lurch

Funnily enough, I walked back inafter the 28 days dixons desi=gnated 'acceptable efforts tro repair' and a cowering saleman handded me a brand new unit.

I know its not mine, because I had replaced teh mains plug :-)

He also admitted that they had 'accidentally' retained my original purchase receipt.

That was Monday. on Tusedasy I got a cryptic message from some repair center saying they had my parts from Sony and my machine would be returned to me shortly.

What should I do if the repair center ships my original machine back to me direct?

I obviously cannot afford to spend one more penny on informing Dixons, or taking it back...:-)

On topic, yes, I think its teh death knell for most high street outlts of anything.

Judging by the ferocious pedestrianisation of most towns, the car restriction and the ensuing traffc choos and congestion that results from ever more traffic calming and safety mesaures, coupled with teh rise in national obesity, no one will actually be able to carry anything larger than a pot noodle or Caffe Latte from any high street shop to the park and ride bus servcce.

Leaving the town center free for what its citizens want. Beggars, CD Mobile phone and shoes shops, and as an arena for after binge rioting and general mayhem.

I have coined a phrase for those that think this is Progress. UTHAMNILICs.

It stands for 'Used to have a mind, now I live in Cambridge', but the C could stand for Cities just as easily.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:39:01 +0100, in uk.d-i-y The Natural Philosopher strung together this:

Keep it, or at least just wing it and see what comes of the situation. I've got two of quite a few items because of this sort of thing, most impressive being two garden sheds! If you keep quiet you might get away with it!

Reply to
Lurch

Yep, thanks Dell for the spare £3k DLT drive

Reply to
Toby

In message , Lurch writes

Well, it would

You need a program upgrade

Reply to
geoff

On Sat, 1 May 2004 00:34:56 +0100, in uk.d-i-y geoff strung together this:

That could help, I'll try it when I go offline tonight ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

That is another reason for allowing Suffolk to flood.

Reply to
IMM

Actually, Eliza, put this in your flash ram and remember it. Its not suffolk that is flood prone. By an large its parts of norfolk linconshire and cambridge.

And essex.

My present house is almost 300 foot above sea level, compared to the cambridgeshire cottage I had at 2 foot below sea level...

Complex things loke glaciation and terminal moraines that aren't part of your programming would have allowed you to converse knowledgeably on te suffolk topology.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ If it behaves like a moron, walks like a moron and quacks like a moron, it probably IS a moron.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Suffolk should flooded anyway.

Reply to
IMM

Well it won't be, not wihout pretty much 75% of southern england going with it.

Try identoifying teh 300' contur and remvng all the country below it.

Thats London and most of the hhome countries gone for a start.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher