Axminster tool show uk.d-i-y meet 2004

I posted a few months back about the possibility of organising a meet combined with the Axminster Tool Show:

The show runs from the 11th-13th Nov., with Thursday (11th) being a preview day for Axminster customers only. Saturday will probably be the busiest day in terms of visitors.

Several regulars have expressed an interest, with at least 3 definites. The tentative plan is to possibly meet up at the show, then follow up with drinks and/or a meal at a local pub/restaurant (as I said, all tentative).

Personally I'd be in favour of a Thursday/Friday meeting, because it will mean I get to have a good look around without too much crowd. But I'm happy to change my mind if Saturday is the only day many people can make.

We've (me and Mrs grunff) have spent some time checking out local venues, and they are an odd mix. The favourite so far is:

The White Horse Inn Sidmouth Rd, Woodbury Salterton, Exeter, Devon EX5 1EP

01395 232244

This is a large non-chain family pub which has a reasonable range of beers and some nice sounding food (we're veggie, so can't comment on the quality of meat dishes).

So, anyone up for it? If so:

  1. Which is your preferred day?
  2. What is your preferred format (drinks? food? both?)

If you have any specific questions you'd like to ask off-group, don't hesitate to email (valid address).

Reply to
Grunff

I'm up for it as you know and don't mind either Thursday or Friday.

In previous years, Thursday has been quieter, because it's a preview day. Friday has been OK as well. Saturday tends to be a bit of a zoo, and for anybody interested in shopping, a lot of product for sale and to take away has gone. However, they will honour prices and send on afterwards.

One other thing about Thursday preview day is that you have to buy tickets in advance for that day - you can't just show up. I generally buy tickets ahead anyway (I think they are a bit cheaper) and it saves queuing up) You can order tickets from the web site, but you don't really need to be an Axminster customer - they'll take anybody's money.

Regarding format, I'm fine with the pub idea.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I might be able to make it for some drinks and/or a meal if it's later on. I work in Exeter so Woodbury Salterton isn't too far from me.

Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

In that case Thursday seems the best bet; I'm up for it, and can make any day. Preferences are thurs/fri/sat in that order.A pub meet for a meal and/or drink after suits me too, and the place you mention isn't too far from the exhib. I'll probably stay overnight anyway.

The Westpoint Exhibition Centre itself has alternative direction info (in the form of a postcode EX5 1DJ you can put into streetmap/multimap) at http://212.104.139.59/venue.asp. Goodness knows why it only has a numeric domain ID.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Ok, Thursday it is then. I've bought tickets for Thursday. Looking forward to it lots.

We probably ought to agree on meeting time/place. Any ideas?

Reply to
Grunff

Would be nice to meet you. Let us know if definitely coming along.

Reply to
Grunff

OK, Thursday.

I have not been there before so not really. To be honest I am a bit pre-occupied with a new grandson so haven't looked at the site plan, but I suppose we could earmark a stand (or the bar) to be at a certain time. It would be a good idea to exchange mobiles and/or mug-shots too, or we could all carry a copy of the Collins DIY book :-)

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

SWMBO suggested "I shot IMM" T-shirts for the occasion...

Reply to
Grunff

We wish ...

Reply to
raden

Just wondering aloud about whether to make the effort. It's bound to be the case that all the stopover places in the immediate vicinity will be booked up, and yet if there's a knees-up (okay, a beer...) afterwards then I wouldn't want to be far away.

Interesting thread....

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

You should definitely come - you'd be sorely missed.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Definitley come over. Tools + beer together! What more do you want? (Sarah Beeny??).

As for accommodation, there will be plenty of places which aren't in the immediate vicinity with lots of room. This is Devon, ancestral home of the B&B. Worth trying to book as early as possible, so decide soon.

Let us know.

Reply to
Grunff

From another thread, it sounds like she discovered a "third way"

Reply to
raden

The Travel Inn in Exeter is £49.95 travelinn.co.uk.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

What, at home? ;)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Is that taxi-able to/from the beer meet?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

It's about six miles. Exeter Taxis aren't too expensive.

a Holiday Inn Express and is a slightly more direct route at about five miles. It's just off M5 Jct29 and is easier to get to than the Travel Inn.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Doubt it :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm staying in the city centre and was thinking of driving there from the show, leaving the car and going to and from the pub by taxi, so we can share if you want.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

This idea is growing on me :)

Which day(s) are you staying over. Or perhaps the better question might be - which night are the in-crowd sharing a half pint of shandy? ;)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay