**** Thames Valley or London Group meet on March 17th *****

I've volunteered to organise a group meeting two weeks time - Wednesday March 17th, for people in or willing to travel to the Thames Valley area.

Towards the end of last year we met at the Green Man at Hurst near Reading

has good beer and quite good pub food, reasonably priced. Mid week it doesn't need reservations unless one were going to show up with the cast of Ben Hur.

This was relatively central for most people, and I would propose it again. Equally I am open to other ideas. Some people (Andrew G. and Zymurgy) came from further south, so another option is to look for something more towards the Blackwater Valley - e.g. Camberley, Farnborough etc...... Comments?

I also just read a post from Huge, asking whether we could make it in London. I would have no problem with that, although restaurant reservations would be sensible and numbers required for that.

If the Thames Valley people would be happy with London, then I am very happy to organise that - otherwise we could stick with a Thames Valley location for this date and I would be happy to organise an additional London meet for a few weeks time.......

If we are going to consider London, then I think we need to have a reasonably good idea of numbers by this time next week.

Please could people reply on this thread or email me personally..

thanks

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall
[29 lines snipped]

Well, I would come to a London meet, but not a Reading one.

Think these things good or bad, as you wish.

Reply to
Huge

If London then I wouldn't be up for it, leastways this time around. It's a bit of a trek into London (Waterloo to Bracknell line stops at every blade of grass and takes nearly an hour).

Different from Paddington to Reading where they bolt a Saturn 5 rocket on the back of a train. But Bracknell/Reading is a good half-hour so not really do-able for an evening out for me.

Might be interested in something slightly on the west side of London though.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

In message , Andy Hall writes

isn't that somewhere near to where Beagle 2 disappeared?

Reply to
geoff

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Andy,

I appreciate your organising efforts - but what inhibits me is the old driving issue. I really don't want to turn up and have to stay on the OJ.

Seems that half the group live here in High Wycombe - perhaps that would be a good place :-)

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Not quite the end of the world. But you can see it from there.

Reply to
Huge

Place wouldn't be a problem, but date is so I'll have to miss out this time.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

It's improved from when I used to use it then! ;-)

Me too: I'm happy with where we met before (or similar area e.g. Wokingham, Bracknell etc, poss further south) or _very_ West London

Reply to
John Stumbles

Maybe Reading would be another option because of public transport. Not that good from Wycombe though.......

Well....

About half the people last time came from Farnborough/Fleet etc. and Wycombe is a long trek from there and no worthwhile public transport.

Perhaps for you, a better solution might be to go to one in London.....

Having two sessions might be more practical all round??

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Shame.

Let's do another London one fairly soon.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote

Cool.

Whilst they're both closer to me I don't know of any decent Pubs around these parts, so a nice rural one serving decent real ale will be a go-er for me.

Are there any around the Sandhurst area ?

Alternatively London is no bother either ...

I'm easily pleased ;-)

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

I don't know.. I've never pubbed in that direction, but wouldn't mind. Anybody else know of one?

You could come to both then........

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I really don't want to turn up and have to stay on the

I think that the only good public transport from Wycombe is to London (or Brum!).

It is indeed. And no, none.

I would happily go to London - subject to the usual (what day, etc.) - but in many ways I would prefer what you are arranging.

Maybe I can have a chat around and find someone stup.., sorry, kind enough to drive me out there. Unfortunately my best bet is a new driver and not insured for my car.

Anyway - thanks for your reply - it is appreciated.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

I've got an early evening meeting that day, so I can join you later providing it doesn't mean traveling into Central London. (Sandhurst/Camberly as mentioned by someone else would be excellent for me.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can you suggest any good pubs in that vicinity, Andrew? Ideally north of the A30.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pubs are not my strong point. I can ask some colleagues next week.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How about if we do the following, Andrew.

If you get a chance to do this and can let me know by say Wednesday next week, I can go take a look and propose it if OK. Otherwise let's stick with the Green Man as before.

Sound reasonable?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I know of the Corus Hotel in Crowthorne - it used to be The Waterloo Arms until last year. North of Camberley, south of Wokingham:

PoP

Is it still like a pub though, or is it more like a bar in a hotel?

I could pop over there this weekend and scope it out.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall