Axminster Tools Show - anyone up for a do?

Having missed it the last 2 years, I'm determined to make it to the Axminster show this year.

Was wondering if anyone else is thinking of going, and if so would you be interested in combining it with a uk.d-i-y meet.

More info here:

And a hell of a list of exhibitors:

Reply to
Grunff

What a brilliant idea.

I'd be up for that.

I went to this for both of the last two years.

The last one at Shepton Mallet was reasonable, although the venue not that good, and it is a PITA to get there.

The one last year at Westpoint was much more professionally organised and a bit larger. It's also a much better venue and easy access from the M5.

I bought tickets ahead of time and went on the Thursday - getting there fairly early when it was pretty quiet. It made it possible to move around fairly easily before the gaggles of people started gathering around the market stall stands and clogging the aisles.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Excellent.

Are you planning on going on Thurs again this year?

Reply to
Grunff

I hadn't thought yet, but probably. I can be flexible, though, if another day works better for others.

I imagine that the Saturday would be a zoo.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Great idea .... but I can't believe my luck !

I am just about to retire - end of the month - a few weeks follow on consultancy activity but that's it!!!!

Yipee...

However a couple of weeks ago I had a letter drop onto the mat - saying that I had "won a prize" to attend court for Jury service! The date was just about the same time as I'm retiring. Rought justice - if it had been a few months earlier the I would I would have been paid a salary for sitting in court!

Of course I had to ask for a little delay - and they gave me a delay. My presence has now been requested the week before the Axminster show! Hmmm... What's the betting I get stuck on a 6 month long murder case.

Justice - don't talk to me about justice :-)

I pity the poor bugger that I may be deliberating on the Wednesday afternoon before the show... The situation might just cloud my judgement :-)

I will probably buy a Thursday ticket anyway - just in case I manage to escape! If you decide on Thursday and I manage to break free then count me in. I will probably stay in Exeter overnight on the Wednesday.

Roy

Reply to
RzB

They always ask for volunteers (out of the jury pool) for long cases. And usually have no trouble getting them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You can get out of jury service if you tell them you're barmy. Just say you believe in public hanging and flogging, that should do the trick. Actually if you're a beardy speccy type who likes woodworking tool shows then the defence will probably object :-)

Reply to
BillV

Not with me. They put all the pool together in court. If you had an excuse you gave it to all in the court and the judge would deem if it was valid. Then with the rest they drew lots.

That is a good ploy.

Reply to
IMM

You'll be joining us at the show?

Reply to
Grunff

I wouldn't be seen dead at it or any Trekkie meeting.

Reply to
IMM

Oh go on...

Reply to
Grunff

Judge "Would the foreman of the jury please give the verdict?

IMM. "Two combis"

Judge "And is that the verdict of you all"

IMM "What does that matter?"

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Oh dear.... I have a beard. Hmmm ... and glasses...

Not middle aged though :-) .... just old... :-(

However - my wife and I have a motto that we stand by ... Not sure where I picked it up from - probably from the bottom of one of Dave Plowman's posts :-)

"Getting old is mandatory - Growing up is optional..."

I went last year, spent a small fortune and thoroughly enjoyed myself....

Roy

Reply to
RzB

Hmm - that should not be difficult ...

Yes - that's it of course. I could engage them in a "fettling" discussion and bore them to death ... Then make my escape once they were all asleep!

Roy

Reply to
RzB

Go to a Trekkie meeting? My oh my. There is a couple near me in a rather large expensive house with flash sports cars in the front. They don't appear flash, as I am, and didn't fit the house. Apparently, I found out last week, he is an avid Trekkie. He sold his Trekkie stuff that cluttered the old house and bought a very expensive house with the proceeds. So selling crap to Trekkies is a good thing. Some mothers.............and lots of them too.

Reply to
IMM

Are you possibly confusing flash with flasher?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh such fun. Andy, I am suave.

Reply to
IMM

That's what they all say.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

D'yknow, I can really see that.

Why has it grown a dot? Used to be .andy, now ..andy

Reply to
Grunff

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:33:01 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Grunff strung together this:

Only one dot here.

Reply to
Lurch