Who invented what?

It was a requirement for areas of public performances to have an independantly supplied lighting circuit, and gas lamps were often used for this. I recall gas lamps in Reading Town Hall into the mid 1970's as the independantly supplied lighting, which were turned on during performances.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It did. It took everything off the floor it wanted to take.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm fairly sure the carbon amplifier was around in Nipkov's time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Paraffin I presume.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from Roger contains these words:

Just had a look at the Calor website. It appears they started distributing bottled gas in 1935. Don't know if they had any early competitors.

Reply to
Roger

For many years prior to public gas supplies a lot of larger private houses had acetylene gas generators. These would generate gas on demand rather than storing large quantities of gas. Generally it was used only for lighting.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No he was German and the name was Grinder.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A cousin of Axel Weight

Reply to
EricP

After the 1973 power outages, the Tower Hotel at St Catherine's Dock in London fitted emergency gas lights at various points in the hotel - made by Veritas.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I always wondered why it was such a shitty hotel.

Reply to
Andy Hall