Who invented what?

He was the first to transmit picture - fact. An electro-mechanical system, rather than purley electronic. Cor!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

messagenews:f6uedl$kej$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Its always struck me as fair to assume that others skilled in the art realised the possibility of this also. After all its pretty obvious. What is different about the penicillin discovery is that it was tested and found to be nontoxic enough to use on humans, plus powerful enough to do the job throughout most of the body.

But in truth, penicillin was not the invention or discovery of antibiotics. Colloidal silver had been in use for many years in the west at that time, and I believe mould cultures had been used to kill bacteria for god knows how long in china.

As ever with stories of invention, the facts are frequently not as reported.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you are thinking of Vladimir Zworykin, then that sounds unlikely...

Karl Braun had a working oscilloscope tube before 1900, and before him Geissler, Plucker, Crookes, Hemlholtz, Hertz and others had all done instrumental work along the way.

Zworykin (and his college tutor) managed to demo a part mechanical part electronic TV system (using a Braun tube) in the early 1900's

Probably not...

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , "dennis@home" wrote

Joseph Bramah also had a patent in 1778 for a water closet.

Reply to
Alan

The first after Paul Nipkow that is.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

No, it's not clear whether he actually built a prototype, which would barely have worked without any form of amplifier anyway (they hadn't been invented). He did patent the idea first though.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

You did not need the smiley to make me smile Adam.

Reply to
Broadback

messagenews:f6uedl$kej$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Reply to
Bob Martin

Baird was the first to transmit a recognisable picture through the air. An undisputed fact I recall one TV programme (film clip of 1950s I think) interviewing the man who was the first face on TV. He was boy then. He was more interested that he got 5/- to sit there than the picture.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Demo? transmit pictures through the air? Proven? Baird was the one to first do that and verified. Undisputable.

It was Bell.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

messagenews:f6uedl$kej$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

REMOVABLE clothes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except that it wasn't through the air but via cable.

Baird never transmitted pictures 'through the air' The British Broadcasting Company did it for him.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Through the air

Through the air across and room and one room to another. When demonstrating the experts were looking under the table for cables.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We were discussing the invention of the CRT, which predated Zworykin's demo (or "The Russian" as you called him).

Really? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Swan.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Joseph Wilson Swan.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Your usual black is white, then?

Think I prefer not reading your 'poetry'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Funny you should say that ... over the last few weeks, I've been watching James Burkes "Connections". Last nights showed how the invention of air-conditioning lead to refridgeration which help out the Bavarian larger makers, who were forbidden to make beer in summer because it was too hot.

I mentioned to SWMBO that over the course of the series, it was amazing how many discoveries and inventions came from brewing, brewers, distilling and distillers and the alcohol industry in general .....

Reply to
Jethro

And, presumably, because they needed to diet? :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

"larger", to store, was originally darker. The British perfected the brewing systems mainly for IPA, as it had to go to India. The beer was made golden as cheap glasses were being introduced rather than tankards. The beer looked good through the glass and sold better. The Czechs, Germans, etc, took it up. Mid-European beers in their current state owe their existence to the British.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel