Who invented what?

OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

AFAIK Bosch invented the jigsaw, Skil invented the circular saw, Kango invented the demolition hammer.

But is that right? And who 'invented' the router, the SDS drill, the cordless drill driver, the angle grinder?

Interesting topic what?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You missed out the Revered and Ubiquitous Car Body Filler.

Also, the items don't all have to be "positive". La machine de merde (Saniflo) should be there - although I suspect that that is a Napoleonic secret weapon.

Reply to
Andy Hall

He was plain Mr Ubiquitous Car Body Filler until his ordination.

Reply to
OG

Even Spangler was not first, although he did obtain a patent. Three years earlier a portable electric vacuum cleaner had been produced in San Francisco, although portable was a relative term. It was smaller than the wagon sized vacuum cleaner invented by Cecil Booth in 1901, but still needed a couple of people to move it and did not sell well. Hand (and rocking chair) operated vacuum cleaners had been around since the mid 19th century.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

messagenews:f6uedl$kej$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Who invented and patented the noiseless fridge, which was brought to the market by Electrolux?

Answer: Einstein (Who also dreamed up General Relativity etc.)

How does it work?

RobertL

messagenews:f6uedl$kej$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

.. and let's not foget Thomas Crapper who invented the flushing toilet.

RobertL

messagenews:f6uedl$kej$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Discoveries and inventions are often incorrectly attributed. After all most are the result of scientific progress which is happening all over the world. I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as we always thought. Penicillin was not discovered by Flemming, but he was the team manager, so got the credit. Anyway off subject a little, what do you think was the greatest discovery/invention? My vote goes to the person who first put bacon with eggs!

Reply to
Broadback

messagenews:f6uedl$kej$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Fermentation.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Wasn't Isopon invented by a chap called David? :-)

Reply to
vortex2

I'd vacillate between the wheel, smelting and writing..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Distillation

Owain

Reply to
Owain

TV as we know it has little to do with Baird.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

". The Romans had flushing toilets BTW.

Reply to
dennis

messagenews:f6uedl$kej$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

That's an intesting one. AIUI, it was well known that if you got this mold on your culture dish it would kill off the bacteria you were trying to grow. This was thought of as a problem. Fleming's skill was not that he made a mold that filled bacteria but rather that he realised the signficance of what was already common knowledge.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

messagenews:f6uedl$kej$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

That's entrepreneurs for you.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Isn't Baird's claim to fame the fact that he was the first person to

*demonstrate (and transmit?) TV*? As you say, the modern television system has far more in common with the all electronic system being invented around the same time by a young American farmers son - can't remember his name though - than Baird's electro-mechanical system.
Reply to
:Jerry:

Quite often, who was first to achieve something depends quite a bit on how you define what they were first at. A mechanical TV system, in principle very much like the Baird system, was demonstrated by Paul Gottlieb Nipkow in

1884. Of necessity, his pictures were transmitted by wire, so he could be classed as the father of cable TV.

Philo T Farnsworth, although Vladimir Kosma Zworykin is also an important pioneer of modern television.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The important factor was not the lack of noise, but the fact that it only needed heat to operate, making it possible to run it on gas. As a result, Electrolux were able to corner the market in fridges for boats and caravans.

It uses the appropriately named Electrolux Cycle.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I give my vote to Issac Newton for inventing gravity when an apple fell on his head :)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No. The Russian invented the cathode ray tube.

Could be.

Edison did not invent the electric light bulb either.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel