Hitachi cordless tools.

Having recently been using a good quality Hilti cordless tool I've finally been tempted to buy a cordless SDS drill for work. The Hitachi one in Screwfix seems to have a very good specification compared to the others, yet is cheaper. Has anyone used one, and how was it?

Is the cost difference just due to Hitachi's lower presence as a brand of power tool?

(It would have been nice to try a line up of different brands and whack some 16mm holes in concrete with them to compare performance.)

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Yes. Quite reasonable. The Bosch one is better.

Probably. Buying market share.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hitachi have an excellent reputation in the tool hire trade.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 23:32:15 +0100, Andy Hall mused:

And the Makita better still. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

Note tried their cordless version, but the 2kg class mains one is very good (very high impact energy per blow compared to others in the class). I have also been very impressed with their circular saws.

Partly I suppose, I get the impression they have always been well respected in the trade anyway, but perhaps now are trying to expand into the top end of the consumer market with more aggressive pricing (and some slightly dodgy livery designs!). Having said that Makita and Bosch seem to be doing the same.

No decent tool shops near you then?

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

As a full time electrician spending a lot of my time on construction sites I rarely see Hitachi being used. The joiners all use DeWalt because of the "image" and other trades just use a mish-mash of brands.

None that seems willing to let me start whacking holes in their concrete structure. :)

I did notice that the impact force for the Hitachi was about 2.9J as opposed to the others which wavered at the lower end of 2J.

Maybe it is down to Hitachi just never quite getting the image of the other tools.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

I have seen shop fitters using their kit a fair bit (mainly mains SDS)... oh, and one signage company as well IIRC.

(I have a mate who is a joiner, not by any stretch a tool buff, but I don't think he has any DeWalt kit. Makita cordless, SDS, routers, sander, bosch jigsaw, & angle grinder, Hitachi circular saw).

Even if you take along your own concrete block and drill bit? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

Now there's an idea. I could take along the block and anchor it to one of their walls at a random angle.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Did you know Wickes now sell Hitachi? Doubt if they will be keen on you tryting it though!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And the top of the tree is Hilti

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

I could just bump a quick hole in their floor. They wouldn't notice.

"Excuse me sir, would you leave the store please?"

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

You could wait until they have a cash lift and see what wins in Hitachi vs Armoured Van.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Stephen Dawson writes

Yes, well this thread started after I'd used a 36V Hilti to install four large lighting trusses at the BBC's new Pacific Quay studio's. It did such a stellar job that I wanted to buy something more affordable for myself.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:58:37 GMT, Clive Mitchell mused:

"yes, just digging my way out now" ;)

Reply to
Lurch